Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Globular Cluster in a Fly's Butt - NGC4833

MarsG76

Hello Astronomers,

This is my next installment to continue with my goal to image southern objects for anyone who is northern hemisphere based (or anywhere else) interested in what's up there down here. :-)

NGC 4833 is a globular cluster situated in the very southerly constellation "Musca" the fly and lies at a distance of 21,200 light years from Earth.

It is partially obscured by a dusty region of the galactic plane which gave it a yellow/orange hue before color balancing.

After color correcting the reddening caused by the dust, the other star colors became a bit more obvious.

This image was taken with a stock Canon 40D DSLR through a 8" Schmidt Cassegrain telescope at 2032mm focal length.

It consists of around 120 minutes of 60, 120 and 180 second subs at ISO400.

I imaged this Globular Cluster as a secondary object on the first night of NGC1097 imaging after the Galaxy has moved too far west and I thought it would be a waste of a nice clear night to pack up the imaging gear now since clear and moonless nights on days off from work are rare occurrences.

if you're wondering why I called it "Globular Cluster in a Fly's Butt"? I attached a constellation image with the position of the Globular.

Clear Skies everyone.

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1112.PNG

6 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

lovely image mate, love the star colours. well done. charl.

Thanks mate, Initially the color of the whole cluster had a orange hue through it, caused by the supposed dust between us and the globular... but once I balanced out the orange and increased the saturation 25% the star colors came to life.

5 hours ago, MikeODay said:

Great image.  I’ve not seen this one before.

There is a amazing amount of objects around the SCP... not just photographic objects but also visible in the eyepiece... I mean I was at a semi dark site, and there was some haze in the atmosphere and still through the 31mm Nagler there was nebula or cluster visible with a slight pan or tilt of the telescope... and that was at the edge of the LMC toward the southern cross.... within the LMC similar story, or along the southern part of the milky way... If I'd try to image everything... well.. I'd run out of years.... 

Archived