Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The lost LED revolution

JG777

In the latest issue of S&T more depressing news about the latest research on LP which I think many of us suspected as the continued roll out and take up of LEDs gathers pace.

The article mentions measurements  between October 2012 and October 2016 measuring the change by VIIRS the first ever calibrated satellite radiometer designed to measure night time lights. It goes on to say the instrument covers a higher spatial resolution than ever before enabling scientists to monitor down to a neighborhood scale rather than city or national scale providing greater accuracy than previous instruments. 

It goes on to report the planet brightened by 9.1% with annual increases of 2.2% Some areas remain stable, others are increasing year on year with the only reduction being in war torn areas. The trend may not be unexpected as it suggests artificial light is indicative of growing wealth and population however more disturbingly the transition to LEDs is not counteracting the effect. In other words cheaper lighting leads not to savings but more lights. Not just bad news for astronomers but wildlife suffers as well. 

Sadly it does not end there , the article states the measurements are likely to be underestimates due to the wavelengths under 500 nanometers so not picking up the blue light which the atmosphere scatters. 

Anyway as mentioned the article is in the latest S@T for those interested. 

Great, just great... bad not just for astronomy or wild life but people are becoming increasingly wierd and sick due to a possibility lack of deep sleep too, can't sustain REM state for long enough when it's too bright...

Thanks John for bringing this article to our notice. I know it just reinforces all of our fears concerning light pollution but I keep hoping it might galvanise someone in the media to publicise this more and start a debate to start changing our irresponsible misuse of lighting. Where I live they are building more than 1,000 new homes which will almost completely surround us in the light sprawl that is Nottingham. I've turned to Ha imaging as the only way apart from radio meteor detection to carry on this old hobby of mine. Still chin up.

Thanks,
Steve

:hmh::help:

"The real dream...?"  Neither do I understand where Kyba's expectations came from. The lighting growth and light growth exactly correspond. Were his expectations based on a "hope" that all the lights would be PC Amber? Where's the science in that? Bah. I had a dream. Honestly, our interests are at the margin--fringe even--but I don't need them compounded by the ridiculous. Here's the article

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/lost-led-revolution-light-pollution-increasing/

I've heard more sense from, well, just about anyone you can think of. Good thing we haven't a prayer, else it'd be worth a petition to replace this talking head.

Archived