Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Early morning delights .

cotterless45

A chilly morning with some surprises. First was a very bright fireball just before 2.25am falling from the area of Bootes in the east . It left a long bright orange trail, one of the best I've seen. Quite amazing to see the sudden white flare out of nowhere. 

A tour around the Messier's , including the Virgo, Coma Berenice's , Leo and Canes Venatici galaxies. Sky was slightly Milky with contrast suffering , but it did improve greatly  , enough to catch the lovely open cluster NGC 2281, really stunning for brightness and colour. Managed to split "Tegmine" at x216, always a favourite.

Canes Venatici the long "Whale" , NGC 4631, the resolvable NGC 4449, M63 ("Sunflower ") and a bright M3. I put on an aperture mask to catch the dark orange of "La Superba" ( Y CnV), what a sight ! Coma Berenices , M53 and the "Blackeye galaxy" M64.

A real surprise was finding Porrima in ( Gamma Virginis) so very wide open at x150, a very bright and beautiful pair, quite unachievable when it closed down to as little as .4". Now appears just below 3". Much easier than even last year at lower magnifications .Really worth finding as you dip into the bowl of galaxies.

I caught the shape of M104 ( "Sombrero galaxy") in the same view as the quadruple group of Σ 1664. It looks like a little cluster , called "little Sagitta", does resemble the constellation. Another good view is the red star 35 Virginis . Again a bit of aperture reduction brought out the best colour. 

Bootes provided with some of the most stunning binary views of Izar ( spot the tiny dot !), the triple Alkalurops, iota and the yellow and orange of XI Bootis. 

Finished with a wobbly Jupiter, nice big disc at x150 and a small Mars, both over the heat of town.
I haven't done much research on the above , but plenty to look up and find out. The fireball was thrilling , as was being accompanied by a long calling owl, here's to 

clear skies ! Nick.IMG_5436.thumb.JPG.025c58358c4c7cfb60752146ba875eba.JPGIMG_5437.thumb.JPG.880100903698d1e19746b05a59c9c43b.JPG

Great report Nick.

I very rarely observe in the morning, like my bed to much :wink2:

Don't think I have ever looked at Porrima as a double star as I thought it was way too close so it's a surprise it's 3" now, that's quite a difference and it now on my list.

Nice post, thanks. I also love the early mornings. So quiet, with so transparent atmosphere ... and with almost all neighbours sleeping, meaning less light from.their houses and television sets...

Archived