Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone use(d) a Vixen APZ mount?

I've been interested in this mount but I've never used one. My Skytee II is doing a good job so it's difficult to justify spending 3x as much on a mount with, on paper at least, less capacity.

I have ordered one at opt. What's you requirement with regard to your telescopes and accessories?

I want to use it for a FC-100DL with the SXG HAL-130, but it'll take weeks until I have all bits and pieces of my setup together.

2 hours ago, marcus_z said:

I have ordered one at opt. What's you requirement with regard to your telescopes and accessories?

I want to use it for a FC-100DL with the SXG HAL-130, but it'll take weeks until I have all bits and pieces of my setup together.

For my C8 and Equinox refractors.

The Skytee 2 is strong if crude. On my HEQ5 tripod with a pillar extension, it's 6 ft 3 ins tall. If the APZ fitted on the pillar that would be excellent.

From the pdf linked to here https://www.vixenoptics.com/Vixen-Advanced-Polaris-ALT-AZ-Mount-p/25841tl130.htm the mount can be converted to equatorial.

Oh I doubt that it will match a C8 and a 120mm refractor. The thing is: manually it is rated 8kg, motorized 6kg. So if you modify it to motorized equatorial you decrease stability. The 100mm equinox might be ok for the APZ but the Advanced Polaris will not be OK. The closest thing to the APZ is an AOK Ayo. Maybe that's something for you?

I have been using this mount for one year. Building quality is excellent as you can expect from vixen. I use this mount for Tak TSA120 (9kg with accessories), and it is surprisingly stable and smooth! I particularly love its micro adjustment, very useful for high power planetary observation.

IMG_5210.JPG

Archived