Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing Meet - Jan. 19

L8-Nite

Hello everyone, hope you all enjoyed the Holidays.  I would like to kick off the new year by proposing an Observing Meet at our Blaenavon site on Friday January 19 th, with Saturday January 20 th as an alternate pursuant to the weather. These are two of the darkest nights this month, and hopefully if the weather is favourable, many of us can catch up once again and possibly welcome some new observers as well.

For those who haven't been to the Blaenavon observing site before, it is located next to the radio masts northeast of town at the " Fox Hunter " car park. The coordinates are.......

On Google Earth:  51* 47' 25.74" N  by  3* 4' 10.74" W

On Google Maps: 51.790573,  -3.069705

Check this thread for updates, and on the day, in the afternoon, to see if the observing session is a "GO" or a "NO-GO" based on the current weather forecasts. If its a "GO", as a courtesy to the group, please post your intentions here if you do plan to attend. It's a long drive for many of us, and I'm sure nobody wants to arrive and end up observing alone.

Cheers, and clear skies to us all !

Hi Mike, 

Hope all is good with you and the family. Good see some activity here.

Just a reminder :- Rule No 1..........................Never bother with the forecast until 1 minute before you make the Call :). This is Wales.

Pat

Hi Pat,

Thanks, everyone here survived the holidays, lol.  Yes, I'll be looking at a consensus of forecasts, and then consulting my big toe for more accurate information 1-minute before making the call.  :wink:  Got to bump this thread along a little just as a reminder that there might be a glimmer of hope for clear skies at the end of the road to Blaenavon. Look forward to catching up with you Pat, and Dorothy says hello.

UPDATE:  It looks very poor for observing at Blaenavon this evening, with an average of about 85% cloud cover and windy conditions throughout the night.

Calling it early for those who may have alternate plans for tonight.

The Observing Meet is a " NO - GO "

Sorry for the late update, just got my computer problem sorted, been up to my neck in alligators today, lol.

Our alternate meet for tonight is also a " NO - GO "

Hopefully conditions will improve in the near future.

Archived