NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Great views

recceranger

Great night out tonight.  Smashing views of M1 (Crab Nebula) and old faithful M42 among others.  Best view yet of M78 which was a joy! 

Alas, the moon came up, but at least I got a chance to try out the variable polarising filter.  Great piece of kit with none of the awful green tint you get with normal moon filters. Spot on?☘️??

D1AAD834-21D3-4FD5-86DE-138B2DAA8183.jpeg

31 minutes ago, recceranger said:

Alas, the moon came up

I'm not an imager, but understand your disappointment when the Moon arrives, however, for me, if conditions don't improve  soon over 2017, I may just spend more time looking at the Moon from present location, if/when the seeing allows.
My main issue here, now is the street lighting, front and back of the house  (North & South ) therefore its difficult to see  many targets at the best of times, everything I view is almost straight up!
 I've got some great skies local (short drive from the city) which is so much better for the scope, I just require more effort to get there? but  the majority of time from home, I'm viewing with binoculars.

3 hours ago, recceranger said:

Alas, the moon came up

Nice kit.... I had a great view of the Orion Nebula, Tarantula, the Dragon's face, as well as the moon later and the Jupiter & Mars conjunction.. all while capturing the last set of Dragon Face subs in OIII... was a good night.

You know that when the moon comes up, it's not the end of the world, just image using narrowband....

3 hours ago, GavStar said:

If only I could see the Tarantula...?

Hopefully I will some day - southern skies sound amazing.

Southern sky objects have their appeal... but just like the northern objects I don't see here... I guess the grass is always green on the other hemisphere... If only we could spend a bit of time observing in each hemisphere periodically.

The Tarantula is a intricate veins intertwined into a spider web into a shape of a flower or a dried up spider... on a clear night one can stare at it for hours...

don't get me started on the Carina Nebula or omega Centauri glob.

Archived