Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Registar and Astroart

Craig123

Hi

I was just at the point of sitting down and purchasing Registar tonight in order to align L and binned colour subs but as i don't have any astro post processing software either i wondered if there is something that will do both with a relatively easy learning curve. Astro art looks to be very good but will it do the job that Registar does as well so i don't need both programmes.Also i've been stacking Tiff in Dss.Does AstroArt support tiff files.

Any advice much appreciated

Craig

2 minutes ago, oobydooby said:

Excuse my ignorance do you mean Registax?

No, the OP does indeed mean Registar! Craig, AstroArt will indeed do what you want as will MaxIm DL and DSS BUT Registar works in a non-linear fashion so it adds a little extra accuracy to the registration (alignment).

I would get AstroArt first and then consider Registar later if you find yourself using data from disparate systems.

Yes another +1 for Pixinsight and I also have Registar which I haven't used for ages as PI has been meeting my needs. Registar is brilliant at what it does but thats all it does. I've not found anything used for astro processing an "easy" learning curve though. The general directions have been either layer based ie. Photoshop etc.. or a more math/script approach such as Pixinsight. Generally, people tend to use more than one to get to the final result. I started out using DSS & Nebulosity.

1 hour ago, steppenwolf said:

No, the OP does indeed mean Registar! Craig, AstroArt will indeed do what you want as will MaxIm DL and DSS BUT Registar works in a non-linear fashion so it adds a little extra accuracy to the registration (alignment).

I would get AstroArt first and then consider Registar later if you find yourself using data from disparate systems.

thanks Steve, much appreciated..that way at least i can get started on some of the data i have and get used to the process involved without blowing too much cash before xmas .

55 minutes ago, Sp@ce_d said:

Yes another +1 for Pixinsight and I also have Registar which I haven't used for ages as PI has been meeting my needs. Registar is brilliant at what it does but thats all it does. I've not found anything used for astro processing an "easy" learning curve though. The general directions have been either layer based ie. Photoshop etc.. or a more math/script approach such as Pixinsight. Generally, people tend to use more than one to get to the final result. I started out using DSS & Nebulosity.

Thanks...i have a limited knowledge of PS and layers for landscape photography but i'm sure the next few weeks trying to layer and process stuff from a ccd will be very interesting so the easier the better..then there is also the price to weigh up

47 minutes ago, Sp@ce_d said:

Generally, people tend to use more than one to get to the final result. I started out using DSS & Nebulosity.

This is absolutely true but I was trying to keep the OP's costs down to start with - plenty of time to spend more deeply in the future! To give an example of this, for my recent bi-colour image of the Tadpoles, I used :-

MaxIm DL to capture my image (Ha and OIII) and calibration data (Bias, Darks and Flats)

PixInsight to produce master calibration files, calibrate, register and stack the lights

Registar to align the two master lights

PixInsight (again) to deconvolve the lights and then apply DynamicBackgroundExtraction

PhotoShop to produce two satisfactory mono images and then combine them into an RGB image. I then produced a synthetic green channel using Noel Carboni's Astro Tools

PixInsight (again) to apply TGVDenoise

PhotoShop (again) for saturation boost and final curves adjustment

That's a lot of expensive software!

:evil:.. Naa.. tell 'em like it is.. Nothing in AP is cheap.. we just get sucked down into the continuous drain of adding this ,upgrading that... until.. we realise the sky needs upgrading. So we either move, rent someone else's sky... or... hmmm... :evil6:....  buy a metal detector? :D

Archived