Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jellyfish and Rosette nebula

tooth_dr

14 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Nice. What happened with Dss.

Cheers. It wouldn’t stack. Finally got it sorted by applying a median filter to reduce noise. Also I get frustrated at the final images sometimes, expecting too much from a DSLR/my processing skills, the standard on the site is phenomenal. 

I know the standard is getting higher and higher here! But don't get disheartened - I think you've done really well. If you want to go a bit deeper with your DSLR you could try an Ha filter. I had some decent results this way with my 450d.

Two images that are very much on my own to-do list at some point.
Don’t be too hard on yourself Adam, these are still great images, and the beauty of this game is we never delete our raw data, so you can always add to it over time, or re-process once you learn new techniques.
The only critique I would add is, I think I can see a satellite trail in the Jellyfish image, so you might need to review your Kappa Sigma settings in DSS. For the record, the default values always worked fine for me so I never had to change them.

If you’re looking to learn new processing techniques, you could always start a new Processing Challenge thread and post a link to the raw stack, and see what others can do. Then, if you see one you really like, you can quiz the user on their workflow. I’d be happy to have a go myself, although I couldn’t guarantee I’d be able to do any better than your own effort.

Keep up the good work!

4 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Two images that are very much on my own to-do list at some point.
Don’t be too hard on yourself Adam, these are still great images, and the beauty of this game is we never delete our raw data, so you can always add to it over time, or re-process once you learn new techniques.
The only critique I would add is, I think I can see a satellite trail in the Jellyfish image, so you might need to review your Kappa Sigma settings in DSS. For the record, the default values always worked fine for me so I never had to change them.

If you’re looking to learn new processing techniques, you could always start a new Processing Challenge thread and post a link to the raw stack, and see what others can do. Then, if you see one you really like, you can quiz the user on their workflow. I’d be happy to have a go myself, although I couldn’t guarantee I’d be able to do any better than your own effort.

Keep up the good work!

I didnt use kappa sigma becuase I thought you needed 16+ subs for it work?  Or I might have made that up?!  When you say satellite trail do you mean through Eta Geminorum?  I seem to be getting some reflections on some subs, probably from the CLS filter, and my Christmas lights that were flashing away at the time

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

I didnt use kappa sigma becuase I thought you needed 16+ subs for it work?  Or I might have made that up?!  When you say satellite trail do you mean through Eta Geminorum?  I seem to be getting some reflections on some subs, probably from the CLS filter, and my Christmas lights that were flashing away at the time

It is true that it works better the more subs you have, and 16 is a good amount for it to work well. But from my own experiences I have found it to still work even with very few subs tbh. Try doing a few stacks with different settings and see what works and what doesn't. I think 12 would easily be enough for it to work (assuming it is a satellite trail to begin with of course).

I like your Rosette version because it looks very natural to mee. Sometimes, less is moore. But if you want it to stand out more, i´m sure there is room for additional stretching. Try to define what you want to achive and maybe someone can give advice.

Ragnar

8 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I have photoshop Ragnar, I bought Steve’s book on processing, but not allowed to open it until Xmas evening !

Perfect ! If you play with the levels and curves (contrast) tools, you will have immediate success. I would also recommend some 3:rd party noise reduction tool to handle the noise that comes with the stretching.

Ragnar 

Archived