Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Wifi Adapter and Stellarium

Evening all,

I recently bought the Skywatcher Wifi Adapter for my AZ-EQ6GT mount. I works fine from both my PC and mobile phone using the SynScan Pro app. I was wondering if there was a way of  controlling the mount with the wifi adapter using stellarium/EQMOD? If there is, what settings do I need?

Thanks for any help.

Yep use the Skywatcher Mobile Ascom driver so load Synscan app and connect to scope. Then connect Stellarium(Scope) to Ascom driver (choose Synscan mobile driver - need to install it first!)  it will then ask you for the details (may even auto find the adapter) - should then connect to Stellarium or CDC.

http://skywatcher.com/download/software/ascom-driver/

Hi Stash, I have tried all that and cannot get it to connect from Stellarium on my PC to the mount. I have downloaded the Skywatcher Mobile Ascom Driver, I can select Synscan Mobile Telescope from the scope selection box in StellariumScope but it wont connect to it? Any ideas or a more detailed instruction list that my simple mind can handle? :-)

13 minutes ago, andyk74 said:

Hi Stash, I have tried all that and cannot get it to connect from Stellarium on my PC to the mount. I have downloaded the Skywatcher Mobile Ascom Driver, I can select Synscan Mobile Telescope from the scope selection box in StellariumScope but it wont connect to it? Any ideas or a more detailed instruction list that my simple mind can handle? :-)

Hi Andy,

I am presuming you are using Windows PC and at least Win 7 onwards.

1. connect the SW Wifi Adapter to the mount and turn on the power.

2. You must load and connect the Skywatcher Mobile App (SYNSCANPRO) (best use Pro version) first using the selecting the UDP connection in the connection settings section. After which press BACK then press CONNECT button at the top. As the AZEQ6 can be AZ or EQ it should present you with a EQ or AZ selection menu - choose EQ in this case. The latter will not happen if it cannot talk and get answers from the mount!!!!

If this doesn't connect then  there is a problem to be sorted as all the rest depends on this working.

3. Only when (2) works can you continue with Stellarium Scope loading and connection using the Ascom Mobile driver.

A pointer - I found that the Skywatcher Mobile Ascom Driver does not appear in front of some of programs but remains hidden after you press ok on the Ascom Chooser Menu Window - you will need to do a ALT + Tab(Shows you all the windows currently being used - pressing ALT + Tab (dont press the + it just means hold the ALT key and press the TAB key) to jump to the Skywatcher window that should appear. I don't mean the Ascom Chooser window but a window that I presume is launched by the Mobile App Ascom driver asking to which device( IP Address of the PC running SYNSCAN App - well it does on mine ) to connect too.

Hopefully this will be tidied up by Skywatcher as it caught me out and is a pain.

If you still have problems you may need to switch off Windows Firewall via Control Settings/Panel as it could be blocking the communications. 

Clear Skies

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Jarraman - I have the same mount AZEQ6 and was looking at the SkyWatcher WiFi adaptor too with Stellarium (and Sequence Generator Pro). from your post am I to understand you have this working with an android device as a remote control as well?

Archived