Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW Atik EFW3 7-Position 2″ Electronic Filter Wheel

FLO

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Gina said:

The ZWO OAG is 16.5mm whereas the Atik is 24mm.  So the ZWO is considerable thinner.   Yes, the ZWO ASI1600 camera back focus is 6.5mm.

Yes those Chinese do make things small!  In a way it isn't clever design by Atik as many FF need 55mm, so if you take my CCD at 16mm, FW at 22, OAG at 24 that's 62mm, so just not usable for me :sad:

16+20+16.5 = 52.5mm using your camera and the ZWO FW and OAG.  With the Atik FW it comes to 54.5mm - make up the rest with a Delrin spacer.  In other words a ZWO OAG will fit your case :)  But don't forget the affect of the filter.

18 minutes ago, Gina said:

16+20+16.5 = 52.5mm using your camera and the ZWO FW and OAG.  With the Atik FW it comes to 54.5mm - make up the rest with a Delrin spacer.  In other words a ZWO OAG will fit your case :)  But don't forget the affect of the filter.

That's really interesting Gina. Does the ZWO OAG fit on the tie EFW2 then?  I'd not even considered that :happy11:

Here is my scenario, can anyone advice me please? I’m currently using a full frame camera so I need the 2” filters. I’m looking to get a higher resolution camera maybe 1600 or atik horizon but could I control this filter wheel through the zwo 1600 usb hub? What about the atik horizon, does it have a usb Hub ? My guide camera is a zwo174 so can I connect this along with the filter wheel to the zwo1600 usb hub? Is the same true of the atik horizon ? 

I would definitely get this filter wheel but just concerned where all my cables are going. 

Thanks ken 

10 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

Here is my scenario, can anyone advice me please? I’m currently using a full frame camera so I need the 2” filters. I’m looking to get a higher resolution camera maybe 1600 or atik horizon but could I control this filter wheel through the zwo 1600 usb hub? What about the atik horizon, does it have a usb Hub ? My guide camera is a zwo174 so can I connect this along with the filter wheel to the zwo1600 usb hub? Is the same true of the atik horizon ? 

I would definitely get this filter wheel but just concerned where all my cables are going. 

Thanks ken 

As the filter wheel needs a separate 12v power supply, the USB will be used for data only so I would see no problem at all with connecting it to either camera, but I don't believe the Horizon has a hub (USB in only).

Attaching this to a 16200 it says that the front plate can be removed to shorten back focus.

Do I understand this correctly that the square threaded piece, that's bolted with what looks like 6 screws onto the 16200, can be removed and that the EFW3 is then bolted straight to the camera body so it sits flush?

What thickness is this piece? Or even better, what would be the total back focus using this method of attachment?

Thankful for any input :-)

/Jesper

I see these small holes being perhaps the way to facilitate the bolt on?

wheel.JPG

1 hour ago, Jessun said:

Attaching this to a 16200 it says that the front plate can be removed to shorten back focus.

Do I understand this correctly that the square threaded piece, that's bolted with what looks like 6 screws onto the 16200, can be removed and that the EFW3 is then bolted straight to the camera body so it sits flush?

What thickness is this piece? Or even better, what would be the total back focus using this method of attachment?

Thankful for any input :-)

/Jesper

I see these small holes being perhaps the way to facilitate the bolt on?

Wow this is new information for me Jesper.  I'm at the obsy later today so can have a look, I hadn't even given this a thought.  My initial thought though is that those holes are normally on the OTA side for fitting the OAG, so I'm not sure how they would interact with the camera, but I will certainly look in to it.

EDIT:  I see on this model they are actually on both sides, so I am really hoping you're right as this may mean I can use the Atik OAG also :thumbright:

EDIT 2:  Downside would appear to be losing the ability to rotate the camera, but on my Esprit I can do this on the focus tube.

For rotation I have for years relied on these:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p6983_Baader-M68-Zeiss-Gewinde-Schnellkupplung-und-360--Rotation.html

rotator.thumb.JPG.a8542455f7ca221de9de308411f2a553.JPG

But they build 25mm so I'm keen on not busting my available back focus. It worked a treat with the EFW2 and the Atik460 and I can't afford too many millimetres...

/Jesper

12 minutes ago, Jessun said:

But just to be sure, I'm asking a question here, and I don't know how these units might fit together.

/Jesper

Thanks Jesper I've not seen them, I'll look in to it more.

I've emailed Vince at Atik to see whether this is the purpose of these additional holes.  He is generally very quick with responses so as soon as I know anything i'll update here, but that would be superb.

Got a reply from Vince as well.

The square threaded plate around the CCD window of the 16200 comes off and the EFW3 bolts on from inside the wheel housing. (I'd be willing to guess that one might drill holes in the EFW2 as well for this purpose).

The back focus saving is about 5mm.

Great stuff!!

/Jesper

41 minutes ago, Jessun said:

Got a reply from Vince as well.

The square threaded plate around the CCD window of the 16200 comes off and the EFW3 bolts on from inside the wheel housing. (I'd be willing to guess that one might drill holes in the EFW2 as well for this purpose).

The back focus saving is about 5mm.

Great stuff!!

/Jesper

Yes me too Jesper.  Problem is it still isn't enough to allow it to work in 55mm (needed for my SW FF) with the Atik OAG :sad: 

Hm, 21.8 + about 15 = 36.8. About 18mm left. Might be some other OAG out there that you can squeeze in?

With the stuff I use, M68 rotator and the Riccardi M63 reducer I'd be at about 74.5mm. 75.6 is recommended so I still have room for a stamp! OAG? Nope... but never used one.

/Jesper

Train.JPG

49 minutes ago, Jessun said:

Hm, 21.8 + about 15 = 36.8. About 18mm left. Might be some other OAG out there that you can squeeze in?

With the stuff I use, M68 rotator and the Riccardi M63 reducer I'd be at about 74.5mm. 75.6 is recommended so I still have room for a stamp! OAG? Nope... but never used one.

/Jesper

Actually I don't use one on this particular OTA either, but it would be nice to have the choice.  I may look at other FF's which offer more flexibility, but I'm reluctant to move away from the "matching" SW one. 

A nice addition to have the screw fix though, one less thing to come undone.  Looking forward to this :happy11:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Arrived today, thanks @FLO.

First impressions are superb, and actually quite a lot lighter than I expected.  Here is a comparison against a EFW2 for an impression of size, but weight wise I don't think there is that much in it. 

20180108_164831.thumb.jpg.87a86256ded3b8ef0adfa1e17a4009c4.jpg

Archived