Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Leaving the imaging rig running when you're in bed?

kirkster501

I wouldn't rely on any system running through a computer. I would only risk it with a directly wired rain sensor (or two of same) as backup behind any cloudwatching system. My robotic clients have cloudwatchers and they adjust them as best they can but they are not 100% reliable. Now I'm an IT numpty but over at the Observatoire des Baronnies they are not. (6 million euro telescope) And what does the boss say about computer based failure to monitor the weather? He says, 'It will happen.' Who am I to disagree?

Olly

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I built myself a rain alarm for almost nothing, see this thread. I just stick it out of the window next to bed. So now I can safely take a nap while the rig is firing away. Clouds may roll in but as long as I know it is not raining I can enjoy my nap.

Cheers

Hi, I have left my rig imaging over night.  I just take care that I am as sure as possible it isnt going to rain before I do. Since building my Obsy in July I think I have had at leats 10 sessions where I have gone to bed. Woke the next day and closed the roof. Last night was one of those night. Using SGPro, I imaged M33, M31, NGC3344 M87 and the one I posted earlier today, M86 :) 

Security, I think best not mention the security measure's. Although I will mention a great free program http://www.yawcam.com/ I use on a cheap laptop. It uses the webcam on the laptop to monitor for any changes. When it senses the changes it takes a picture and emails it you immediately. I just setup a new Gmail account for this one purpose. One can select a specific area of the screen to monitor too. Instead of the whole screen.

Here is a picture it emailed to me.

Clear skies :)

Yawcam_motion_2017-09-18_17.29.29_462.jpg

1 hour ago, gorann said:

I built myself a rain alarm for almost nothing, see this thread. I just stick it out of the window next to bed. So now I can safely take a nap while the rig is firing away. Clouds may roll in but as long as I know it is not raining I can enjoy my nap.

Cheers

Wow my neighbors would love that going off in the middle of the night...and the wife... i dont think so.. :)

4 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Wow my neighbors would love that going off in the middle of the night...and the wife... i dont think so.. :)

But you keep the alarm inside and it is only 85 dB (=not very loud but will wake you up). If you are worried that others would hear - just keep it under your pillow.

It is a good topic. 

Makes me realize how luck I am having a dedicated butler to do all them chores.

Only kidding!! I live on a rough council estate where anything left outside after dusk, will not be there at sunrise.

But a weekends imaging session is great fun, I get the

11.30pm - Some nabours husband comes home from pub kicks off but wifie lets him in. (minor damage to a window or front door only)

1am - same as! but it kicks off big time, all lights come on in that row of houses, but after 30mins all is good. (I always have a brew ready for that one:) 

3-4am - same as! but this time I hear sirens coming and the whole street is awash with abuse for hours, flashing blue light put an end to my imaging session. (time for bed)

Thx Paul 

Archived