SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Leaving the imaging rig running when you're in bed?

kirkster501

Hey guys, despite having an obs I never leave the rig running when I go to bed.  Just seems there is too much weather variability in the UK - how many tines have there been brilliant skies and then ten minutes later it has totally clouded over.  Sure it is bad enough to capture four hours of grey clouds, but worse still if it decides to pee to down and you're in the land of nod. However, I am fighting these thoughts and inherent dangers against the fact that I am not getting enough data.  I suppose we all have this quandary......

Leaving aside the issue of potential theft, what do you guys do?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Hey guys, despite having an obs I never leave the rig running when I go to bed.  Just seems there is too much weather variability in the UK - how many tines have there been brilliant skies and then ten minutes later it has totally clouded over.  Sure it is bad enough to capture four hours of grey clouds, but worse still if it decides to pee to down and you're in the land of nod. However, I am fighting these thoughts and inherent dangers against the fact that I am not getting enough data.  I suppose we all have this quandary......

Leaving aside the issue of potential theft, what do you guys do?

I leave mine open here and have 2 rain sensors that send me push notifications on my phone if it starts to rain.  I can then park the scope and close the roof remotely.  I also have a floor pressure mat under the flooring next to the scope which again sends me a notification, turns on the lights and sets off a local alarm if it operates when the roof is open and it's armed (this is all done via my HA system).  The warm room is locked and connected to the main house alarm on both doors.  I also have CCTV in the scope room and warm room, mostly just to see what is happening as I tend to mostly image remotely, but also security.

I have to park my mount to close the roof, so can't just close it fully automatically yet, but am working towards that.

If PHD2 loses the star (completely clouds over) then SGP can be set up to abort and run the end of sequence events (warm camera and park mount etc.), although a cloudwatcher or similar connected system as some use will allow you to then carry on if it clears again.

Check the forecasts - there are times when there is a risk of cloud or rain and I won't risk it if so. Other times it is obvious that there is zero chance of rain within X hours. Have you thought about making or buying a cloud / rain sensor? Either close up automatically or trigger an alarm to wake you up and go outside before it's too late.

My Obsy is low tech and have found the scope soaked once which I let dry out for days (mainly the mount).

Even when I come indoors and image remotely I find I can't relax and keep checking to see everything is OK.

At the moment i'm not willing to invest in an automated roof as you say it would be constantly opening & shutting with the UK weather!

I use three rain sensors each independent of each other.

The main one is from Hitecastro which which automatically closes the roof and parks my scope if it gets too cloudy or detects rain. Whilst this has never failed, it is dependent on my PC running and mains power.

The second one is placed inside my observatory and is connected to a battery powered radio link that sends a message to a receiver placed inside my house (I've desensitized this one since it kept generating false alarms in very dewy conditions. This one is depended on mains power.

The third one also placed inside my observatory is totally battery powered but is not very sensitive to rain, it sends a message to a receiver placed inside my house.

I complement the above with a main failure detector alarm which generates an alert if my observatory losses main power.

Alan

I leave the imaging running overnight and go to bed but only if the weather looks set fair with very little chance of rain.  I haven't yet got round to rain sensors etc.  I have one rain sensor and another of a different type on order.  I'm expecting to add both rain gauges to my control system and eventually to finish the remote ROR control.  But pretty much everything is on hold ATM.

To be honest, its part of the fun popping in and out to check, to me going to bed and leaving it all to collect data,  is not what this hobby is all about, rather than spend £1000s on an automated system, my money is better spent on the scope, camera and mount, and i am more than happy to stay close by and keep an eye on it all.... just my opinion :)

34 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

To be honest, its part of the fun popping in and out to check

The end point will surely be that we get everything set up and working automatically, the system then loads the subs into the computer which automatically stacks them and then processes them according to the type of target and quality of data.  We then look at the perfect finished image.  Boring.

A friend of mine bought a drone.  He paid a lot of money, and sadly (I think), it just works.  Because of this he has only used it about three times.  

Of course, there are some elements to all systems that need to work, hopefully reliably.  For example the telescope mount, emergency service equipment.  But how much more satisfaction is gained from having to overcome problems (rain, clouds, computer glitches etc) when one does eventually produce a good image?

Rant over.  I have the mind of a 200 year old.

Chris

1 hour ago, cfpendock said:

The end point will surely be that we get everything set up and working automatically, the system then loads the subs into the computer which automatically stacks them and then processes them according to the type of target and quality of data.  We then look at the perfect finished image.  Boring.

A friend of mine bought a drone.  He paid a lot of money, and sadly (I think), it just works.  Because of this he has only used it about three times.  

Of course, there are some elements to all systems that need to work, hopefully reliably.  For example the telescope mount, emergency service equipment.  But how much more satisfaction is gained from having to overcome problems (rain, clouds, computer glitches etc) when one does eventually produce a good image?

Chris

Totally agree with you here Chris.. :)

i find that although it can be a frustrating hobby at at times, if it just worked perfectly night after night it would get boring, and some might find that hard to comprehend, but for me, one of the fun parts is getting it all to work and talk to each other, and get results, and when it does, its so satisfying.

I seriously thought about fully automating my Pulsar Dome. I only require to automate the shutter to get the mechanics right. But... will I enjoy it? I love popping down to the observatory to open the shutter. Everything else can be programmed from my laptop in the comfort of my home, right down to each mechanically/electrically component. The observatory is monitored by the AAG Cloudwatcher. I love looking at the system working on the screen. The subs downloading, the filters changing, the dome turning and the focuser going through it's fine focus routine. Would fully automating it take the fun out of it?

Steve

I, like others, love the tinkering and problem solving side of things.  Seeing it all running after hours and hours of work is indeed very satisfying.  However, I also run a business so can't afford to spend a whole night just sitting and waiting for 30 minute subs to complete.  I will very often go to the obsy to start a run, maybe have a little adjust or dust over, and just generally enjoy all my lovely shiny kit.

With the above noted, I also set my system up to alert me even if I am in my warm room during an imaging run, which I personally love to do if I can.  My warm room is fully insulated, toasty warm and very dark, with the window between it and the scope room having a blackout blind to limit any light bleed from monitor and power supplies etc.  It also has 2 linear power supplies with fans and a PC with a fan.  In this environment it is highly likely that if it started raining I may have no idea, so my rain sensors will alert me to this.

I must admit I used to baulk a bit at automated systems, but since having a semi-automated system myself (I do still have to log on, start up, connect, cool down, open roof, set imaging run and make sure I'm happy with alignment and guiding etc.) I do enjoy the hobby much more, but then I do still have a fair bit of equipment interaction.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm not going to automate my Observatory roof, quite happy to do that manually.  I just want to rig something up that can alert me when I'm asleep if it starts raining so I can get myself out of bed and do something about it.   There are not many nights in the year - (er, none?) when you can *guarantee* it won't rain.....

Just now, kirkster501 said:

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm not going to automate my Observatory roof, quite happy to do that manually.  I just want to rig something up that can alert me when I'm asleep if it starts raining so I can get myself out of bed and do something about it.   There are not many nights in the year - (er, none?) when you can *guarantee* it won't rain.....

Have a look at the AAG Cloudwatcher Steve.

10 hours ago, cfpendock said:

Chris

10 hours ago, LightBucket said:

Totally agree with you here Chris.. :)

i find that although it can be a frustrating hobby at at times, if it just worked perfectly night after night it would get boring, and some might find that hard to comprehend, but for me, one of the fun parts is getting it all to work and talk to each other, and get results, and when it does, its so satisfying.

+1!

...or the Aurora Cloud Sensor http://www.auroraeurotech.com/CloudSensor.php

Totally automated here. It's the only way I can take full advantage of my investment in telescope/mount/camera. The image quality is also improved by the much longer integration times I can achieve by being able to image all night on the rare nights that it's clear and still drive to work in the morning.

Tinkering, no, that's not for me. Boring, never. The satisfaction for me is running a well maintained system that just works when it has to and delivers the raw sub frames ready for processing.

One proviso; if the forecast is for rain later then as a general rule I won't open up.

Andrew

Great topic, l like being next to the kit, but when I get an observatory I think I am going to automate it as far as my budget and skills will allow. I would then have the choice to stay out under the stars or not, but still capture more precious subs. 

Just because you have a fully automated set up, you don’t have to leave it unattended?

I have an app on my phone which alerts me if there is rain approaching, or a certain distance away.  It seems to alert me more than it rains (presume the rain has bypassed my area), but might be worth trying.

I used to go to bed and set the alarm when I first started imaging, but found it extremely difficult to get myself up after being asleep when the alarm went off.  So these days I do tend to stay up and sleep it off the next morning, but then I am retired now. 

I might even be brave enough to give my app a try next imaging session, but I do keep an eye on Sat 24 when I am imaging (once up and running I keep an eye on it remotely from indoors).  This is useful because it tells me when clouds or conversely clear skies are approaching, and you can also switch it on to show rain as well.

Carole 

Hi.

Despite that i have a fully automated and remotely operated observatory (i am an hour away at best) I will still check various predictions and even if there is a chance of 1-2 hours of clear skies, but there is a high chance of low (rain) clouds i will not start a session.

I have operated the observatory for 2 years now, and had probably close to 100 sessions, and it has never ever rained in the period that i was imaging. I do test the automation very regularly and have got multiple failsafes against power outage, dying computers etc. Still i would not risk it though to rely on the equipment and processes if not absolutely by accident and it rained without expectation of raining.

Satellite images are a big part of my prediction (like this: https://en.sat24.com/en) next to detailed weather predictions like this: http://www.meteo.pl/um/php/meteorogram_list.php?ntype=0u&fdate=2017112900&row=406&col=250&lang=pl&cname=Warszawa

You will seldomly predict if its nicely clear, but predicting if its going to rain is much more accurately possible and could help you way the risks, with our without having an automated closing system.

Kind regards, Graem

Yes the en.sat24 site is good as is meteoradar.co.uk. If i didn't leave my gear out overnight i would very rarely have any data.

I have a rain sensor hooked up to a buzzer in the spare room at home which i sleep in when the gear is out.

It is hard to switch off and get to sleep knowing what could go wrong, but for me if i didn't leave it out it would be like having a nice car and never driving it for fear of getting a scratch.

Archived