NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC-410 LRGB

Rodd

This is the first time I shot an emission nebula in broad band--wasn't sure what to expect.  

TOA 130 at F7.7 with STT-8300 and Astrodon series e filters

Lum 19 20 min

Red: 18 10 min

Green 18 10 min

Blue 7 10 min

Sky conditions were much better than normal for me.  I was only able to collect 7 blue subs and decided to see what I could do with that. I originally planned for 18 for each RGB.  I feel that collecting 11 more blue subs would not significantlyy improve the image, so I think I am done.  My lack of experience with LRGB leaves me unsure how far to take it, so I have posted 2 images, the first being right after the insertion of the lum channel, and the second image fully processed.  To far? Naturally, I have a dozen images in between--but they all are slightly different.

LRGB-L18initial-MT.thumb.jpg.4616354ed62c2133f5c63dfcd8b2a2b8.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.9cfbfb20a5a5cb3396554ab03ce93818.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer the last version. Not as purple as the first and with more contrast than the second. Unfortunately, I think this target, at this focal length, in RGB, isn't that interesting other than the tadpoles themselves. It hasn't got the structural detail you'd get from narrowband. I prefer this target (in RGB) either at a longer focal length focused on the tadpoles or at a much shorter focal length so the Flaming Star Nebula makes it more interesting! But that's just my personal preference (and I admit that it therefore makes it harder for me to comment on the image quality).

4 minutes ago, Filroden said:

I prefer the last version. Not as purple as the first and with more contrast than the second. Unfortunately, I think this target, at this focal length, in RGB, isn't that interesting other than the tadpoles themselves. It hasn't got the structural detail you'd get from narrowband. I prefer this target (in RGB) either at a longer focal length focused on the tadpoles or at a much shorter focal length so the Flaming Star Nebula makes it more interesting! But that's just my personal preference (and I admit that it therefore makes it harder for me to comment on the image quality).

I am trying to get away from NB--it is my crutch.  Heres a bit more saturation.  I think this is about as much as I can do with it.  But over all I think I disagree with you on this one.  It just "feels" more natural.  I know that is ridiculous when referring to a visual representation.  

5 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Hi Rodd, I looked at them long and hard, and though it may not be the most realistic version, the second is the most beautiful in my eyes.

Edit: forgot to say they're all excellent. Of course!

Thanks Ruud.  Here is a tad more saturation and I think I am done until I get more data. (yes I think I need to after all!)

6a-sat.thumb.jpg.c45eef405277985d4f41ab0adc7ea084.jpg

The latest one from the second post is the best in my view. Its has better balance, to my eye perfectly flat black space looks wrong and to be honest its not really black that close to the nebula as there will be faint stuff about. 

Edit: looks better with slightly more saturation but I would leave it alone now as you are just going to end up over processing it. Something that I always do myself. 

15 minutes ago, Adam J said:

The latest one from the second post is the best in my view. Its has better balance, to my eye perfectly flat black space looks wrong and to be honest its not really black that close to the nebula as there will be faint stuff about. 

You mean #3 and not #4?  I did drop the black point after touching up saturation but ever so slightly.  You have a good eye!  Here is the black point of the #3 with the saturation of #4

6a-satc.thumb.jpg.a9491ba781c3d9c9155eb86079743a5d.jpg

Very nice Rodd, I like this last version the best, it has the best of everything, best star colours, less magenta, vibrant colour but contrast as well.  I like it.  

Carole 

Thanks Ruud.  Here is a tad more saturation and I think I am done until I get more data. (yes I think I need to after all!)

6a-sat.thumb.jpg.c45eef405277985d4f41ab0adc7ea084.jpg

4 minutes ago, carastro said:

Very nice Rodd, I like this last version the best, it has the best of everything, best star colours, less magenta, vibrant colour but contrast as well.  I like it.  

Thanks Carol! I wish my skies could support LRGB more often.  

Rodd

46 minutes ago, Rodd said:
And a bit of star control in background

And a bit of star control in background

6a-sat-blue-6-MT.thumb.jpg.9303d472c42821d1a5be4e8db1085b23.jpg

Personally I think you have taken it too far with the star reduction I loved it was it was, very natural. Like I say, you need to know when to quit lol

2 hours ago, Rodd said:

You mean #3 and not #4?  I did drop the black point after touching up saturation but ever so slightly.  You have a good eye!  Here is the black point of the #3 with the saturation of #4

6a-satc.thumb.jpg.a9491ba781c3d9c9155eb86079743a5d.jpg

For me this is the one and it should be left at that. 

33 minutes ago, Adam J said:

For me this is the one and it should be left at that. 

The only difference between the one you liked and this one--is a touch of blue where there should be a bit of blue.  Makes the tadpoles stand out a bit. (I used the image you like as a base )

6a-satc-Blue3.thumb.jpg.04d5c6acc62b041a5cdea71187d92354.jpg

But I like a smidgeon of star control--this is pretty slight--but I think its gives the nebula a tiny boost.  Stars around nebula were effected--not stars within nerbula

6a-satc-Blue3-MT.thumb.jpg.07b132d5377a2c18c8a2e115735663a6.jpg

Its a great image but I think you are splitting hairs now, not sure that even with my 'good eye' I can detect the difference with the last two.

You are clearly a perfectionist my friend, its a difficult condition for someone to live with. ;)

44 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Its a great image but I think you are splitting hairs now, not sure that even with my 'good eye' I can detect the difference with the last two.

You are clearly a perfectionist my friend, its a difficult condition for someone to live with. ;)

Thank you-and I know...I am a perfectionist for sure--with my on images.  I don't seem to be a picky when I view others images (thank god).  I don't know what it is....but it nags at me...like a pebble in your shoe.   I think it derives from me still being very much a novice, and many of the processing tools, at least in PI, are trial and error things.  That combined with having seen amazing images captured with similar equipment and processed to look like your looking through a portal on a space ship, makes me work at it until I see no way to improve it.    I am learning to back off the final position a bit, an "leave 5% of the image on the table".  But overdoing things is my Achilles heel.   

Thanks for your input

Rodd

13 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

You were spot on with the one before that. Star colour is wrong in that last one with hints of green.

The stars are screwy I agree--botched something--but the clarity is much better.  Trying to go back and see where I diverged.

Rodd

Archived