Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Simple Filter protector case

Luna-tic

I made a couple of solar filters for my C6 and EdgeHD 8, using the Thousand Oaks polymer film, poster paper and foam core poster board. Sturdy enough when in place on the telescope, but fragile as eggs when lying around, and hard to carry without risking damage to the film filter material. 

Enter one of those metal cookie cans like you send to friends at holiday time, or receive from friends. Once empty, they usually get thrown in a closet or attic, because you always think "that's too nice to throw away". They come in several sizes, and just so happens I had one perfect for an 8" diameter object. The art work was rather nice on the lid, a cute little girl with a bouquet of flowers and a kitten sitting next to her. Not nearly manly enough to throw in with a serious sky-watcher's kit, so a coat of paint from whatever spray can was foremost on the workshop shelf was in order. A nice blue presented itself, perfect to represent the sky.

The paint was cold, so rather than a smooth coat, I got a pebbled one; actually, I like it better. Looks more utilitarian. Make a couple of labels to note what's inside, and now I have a great home for both filters. I took a scrap piece of the foam board to make a partition, and both filters fit easily in the can.

Solar filter for C6.JPG

DSC09976.JPG

DSC09978.JPG

DSC09979.JPG

Archived