Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 process try and try again

Stu Wilson

Gave it a go. Here is my result. My only real advice, and something I see you're aware of, is to take dark frames. There is streaks of hot pixels throughout the picture, which is hard to do much about, without meticulously patching them away one by one. Although, "Hasta La Vista Green" does a decent job of removing the green ones :p

m31nodarks Render For SGL.png

While the Processing Inquisition is doing its rounds :D, I have to admit to Great Heresy, I use DSS to do some early stage processing, but I don't have Photoshop so I have to use GIMP. DSS can be a really useful starting point in the processing, but not having PS I don't know how effective it would be in your case.

John

3 hours ago, Stu Wilson said:

And my failed attempt at it lol

Simply adjusting the color balance would help that picture out a lot. More red, less cyan, and some tweaks here and there :)

2 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

While the Processing Inquisition is doing its rounds :D, I have to admit to Great Heresy, I use DSS to do some early stage processing, but I don't have Photoshop so I have to use GIMP. DSS can be a really useful starting point in the processing, but not having PS I don't know how effective it would be in your case.

John

I honestly do that quite often too, as I can find that pulling out color afterwards can be quite hard. Hence, why I also align the color channels, and give like a 20% saturation boost in DSS, and saving that :D

Archived