NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Glasses or No Glasses?

6 hours ago, Louis D said:

I thought that Toric lenses were  orientation sensitive.  The bottom is thicker to help rotate them into the proper position using gravity.  If you tend to look downward into an eyepiece, they tend to rotate every which way negating any useful correction.

see below

something weird happend there

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that Toric lenses were  orientation sensitive.  The bottom is thicker to help rotate them into the proper position using gravity.  If you tend to look downward into an eyepiece, they tend to rotate every which way negating any useful correction.

see below, something very weird is happening, how do I delete these two?

Louis, you are indeed correct to a point!

These are the traditional prism balast lenses, there are new designs that have in effect the same design as a spec lens where by they have thicker sides at 180 degrees to each other, see photo, these are generally a lot more stable.

In fact there is now a whole host of toric lenses available from manufactures of late, they seem to doing a lot of work with the torics.

At the end of the day it is what if any are suitable for the patient or if the patient is suitable for lens wear.

Just a closing point, we also have OrthoK lenses, these correct the vision overnight, you wear them as you sleep and take them out in the morning, again not suitable for higher astigmatism, research is showing however that in children using these lenses is in fact reversing mypoia!

toric lens.jpg

11 hours ago, Fypunky said:

These are the traditional prism balast lenses, there are new designs that have in effect the same design as a spec lens where by they have thicker sides at 180 degrees to each other, see photo, these are generally a lot more stable.

I've always wondered how you get assymetrical contact lenses the right way round.

Neil, My ones used to have a blue dot on them so they went in the right way up - blue dot went at the bottom or top IIRC.  As an ad-hoc Toric lens wearer since being a teenager I've seen many developments.  These days I have Toric dailies for when I need to wear a contact (mainly sports), they just settle the right way up due to modern manufacturing methods and in fact you can just see the movement in the eye until they settle.

1 hour ago, JOC said:

Neil, My ones used to have a blue dot on them so they went in the right way up - blue dot went at the bottom or top IIRC.  As an ad-hoc Toric lens wearer since being a teenager I've seen many developments.  These days I have Toric dailies for when I need to wear a contact (mainly sports), they just settle the right way up due to modern manufacturing methods and in fact you can just see the movement in the eye until they settle.

Can you comment on how they work at the eyepiece?  I'd be interested to know if you've tried them for astronomy.

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

Can you comment on how they work at the eyepiece?  I'd be interested to know if you've tried them for astronomy

I haven't tried them at the eyepiece myself as I don't find using spectacles is an issue - however, if you want a view of toric contact user prior to investigating them yourself I'm happy to try out a pair the next time the weather co-operates and report back

3 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I have strong astigmatism in both eyes, so use glasses and long eye relief EPs. Works for me

Well, having shared a telesope with you and tried to see what you saw, I'd say, 'You don't have a problem!!!'

Olly

I also use a spectacle cord or lanyard, at least you know where you glasses are going to be at all times.

I've never observe through bins or telescope with glasses on, but they are essential for seeing stars with the naked eye for myself especially when using a RDF.

Archived