Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEQ6 Pro PBC and Smoke

stuffedhaggis

Hi all,

Hoefully some one can point to me in the right direction. I has making an extended cable today for my Scope. When i pluged it i got a big puff of smoke from my Aux Port. Now the mount will not power on.

I have opened up the Mount and have removed the PCB. I have noticed Scrotiching on a L2 chip (many not be the correct name)  Has any one else seen this ? I have attached some images of the PCB.

IMG_20171015_172821.jpg

IMG_20171015_172825.jpg

IMG_20171015_172828.jpg

IMG_20171015_172837.jpg

My best guess will be that you got the polarity reversed or otherwise applied an incorrect voltage to a sensitive component and fried either:

(a) Something

(b) Everything.

It looks like component L2 has taken a hit. "L" denotes an inductor/choke/coil. They aren't polarity sensitive but on that scale usually have very, very fine windings or windings that look like a dead short to the wrong voltage. Any excess current will obliterate them.

It's a surface mount component and tricky to replace without some experience. You might be lucky and that's all that's died. Unfortunately I suspect that won't be the case. Sorry :(

As above, to move on it would be worth checking what caused the reverse polarity or incorrect voltage and fix it, then solder a temporary fuse of around 500 mA (might need a bit more) connected to some flying leads across the inductor pads and attempt power up again.

Alan

Archived