NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ha Soul with 100D and Star 71

StargeezerTim

This is 14 X 10 min, iso 1600, 12 nm Ha filter. Flats and bias. Clouds stopped play last night but hope to collect some more Ha and RGB over the weekend to create a colour version... It is pretty noisy but not too bad...

I might have an overactive imagination but It looks a bit like a hippo to me!

59df39bdd9290_SoulHa.thumb.png.e185bf3686eb1820421ae428f97cfe06.png

3 minutes ago, StargeezerTim said:

Maybe not a hippo.. Head to the right... body to left... two sets of legs and a little bobble on the let upper (10.30pm) as a tail. Perhaps I need my medication...

Maybe a little chubby creature mooning the camera...

I am working on this target at the moment too, looks like you may have some clear sky tonight, up in Lincolnshire we are not so lucky. I still need more H-a but things are looking promising so far.

I would definitely prioritize more h-a before getting the RGB. You are starting to see some nice faint detail in the backdrop.

11 hours ago, Adam J said:

I am working on this target at the moment too, looks like you may have some clear sky tonight, up in Lincolnshire we are not so lucky. I still need more H-a but things are looking promising so far.

I would definitely prioritize more h-a before getting the RGB. You are starting to see some nice faint detail in the backdrop.

Well I have 6 hours of Ha now. The seeing wasn't very good with a high layer of cloud. I'm amazed I got any results, I'm sure RGB subs would have been completely ruined by the cloud. What ratio of Ha to RGB makes for a good image?

Here is the 6 hours process. To be honest, the background noise was very pronounced and I heavily smoothed the background. (too much!)) Still, it was good to get anything with those pesky clouds...

59e09dc8e0570_SoulHa36subsfinal.thumb.png.71999e3a6111b6f7d268c4343da9f929.png

I can see the improvement with the added subs. Alas last night was clouded out in Lincolnshire. 

In terms of ratio of RGB to Ha, thats tricky for me to answer as I normally do Bi-color with OIII data (yes even with a dslr). I would be using shorter subs for the RGB probably 5 mins, then just keep going untill its a nice smooth image. Just give it an entire evening and see what you get. 

I guess that if you can do longer subs than 5 mins it may be that your skys are quite dark anyhow and that as such you will not see as much benefit from Ha as others do. 

Archived