Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starsense on wedge bug fixed.

One can perform an All Star Polar Alignment  (ASPA) on a Celestron Alt-Az mount on a wedge  when using a Nexstar + HC. I get down to a Polar Alignment Error measured in arc-seconds, commensurate with any GEM. This route requires good basic alignment skills. However, if you have mastered a routine 'two star align' it is no more difficult.  Just follow the instructions in the HC for an EQNorth,  then Polar Align (then conclude with further EQNorth). 

However, it would be much easier, faster, convenient and GoTos even more accurats if this process was possible with a Starsense auto-align. However, a 'bug' has frustrated wedge owners for nigh on three years. Starsense works fine on a GEM or Alt-Az, but not on a wedge,  UNTIL NOW.

The good news is that Celestron has fixed the bug in the Starsense HC wedge routine and the updated firmware is in beta-test via TeamCelestron. A public release is imminent. Like the Nexstar + HC this routine offers a complete ASPA including software aided elimination of any residual Polar Alignment Error (e.g. firmware tells you the knob adjustment necessary).

The other good news is that Simulation Curriculum has fixed a similar bug in the SkyPortal APP (not yet fixed in the SkySafari APP). Here you set 'Starsense Auto-Align' and 'Starsense on wedge' via the SkyPortal APP then set your wedge to your latitude; then tube to its index marks pointing South.  Then <connect & align>. This offers an excellent Starsense Auto-Align on a severely leaning mount. GoTo's are highly accurate. I then tracked VEGA for over an hour without any noticeable drift, suffice for modest length longer exposure astrophotography provided your mount is level, your wedge latitude correct and your Tube start point South. However, this is NOT an ASPA. This routine does not guide you to do any final tweaks to eliminate any residual PAE error. It hence won't be quite as accurate as any "polar align" performed by the HC. But for those with modest aspirations that like using Starsense via WiFi APP, it will be pretty good.

However, what you can now do is first use a Nexstar + HC to complete an ASPA. Return tube to its index marks on the now physically polar aligned wedge/mount. Recycle power; and proceed with a Starsense auto-align using either HC or WiFi/tablet.  So you then have the benefit of an accurate ASPA plus the subsequent joy of Starsense superior GoTo accuracy. It is a great compromise.

When the Starsense HC bug firmware release is in the public domain, I will add to this thread. Hope this guidance is helpful to wedge owners with Starsense.

Edited by noah4x4
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Noah, Have you received any updates on this? I am about to buy a wedge for my Celestron Evo 8" and am keen to try this out. I am curious, do you use the Wedge for the 6-8" or the HD Pro? I have heard the HD Pro is compatible with the 8" Evo Mount / tripod but it seems MUCH bigger. Is there a stability advantage to the larger wedge?

On 01/11/2017 at 17:07, DenverMark said:

Hi Noah, Have you received any updates on this? I am about to buy a wedge for my Celestron Evo 8" and am keen to try this out. I am curious, do you use the Wedge for the 6-8" or the HD Pro? I have heard the HD Pro is compatible with the 8" Evo Mount / tripod but it seems MUCH bigger. Is there a stability advantage to the larger wedge?

I use the Evolution wedge, and that adds 15lbs. It is very robust and stable. I have no experience of the HD Pro wedge but my guess is that it offers no advantage for Evolution 8" owners. The weight of the Evolution Wedge is plenty enough for me, and I don't envisage the HD Pro adding to stability, only a hike in price.

Edited by noah4x4

• 2 months later...
On 06/10/2017 at 06:22, noah4x4 said:

When the Starsense HC bug firmware release is in the public domain, I will add to this thread. Hope this guidance is helpful to wedge owners with Starsense.

Sorry to nag, but has there been any progress please, both with the non-beta version of the StarSense firmware and Sky Safari?

Ian

6 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

Sorry to nag, but has there been any progress please, both with the non-beta version of the StarSense firmware and Sky Safari?

Ian

1. A Starsense autoalign (no wedge)  works fine over WiFi via SkySafari

2. A Starsense auto-align on wedge works fine over WiFi via SkySafari. However, this is subtly different from a Starsense All Star Polar Align on wedge which is still NOT possible via an APP. But....

3. The infamous  Starsense ASPA bug is now fixed in the Hand Controller and a firmware update is desirable. Then why not  first do a Starsense ASPA polar align with the HC (easy!). Then when your mount is physically aligned, recycle power and conclude with a Starsense Auto-Align in wedge via WiFi/SkySafari to adopt WiFi control.

4. Indeed, why not just set your wedge to your latitude and jump straight into a Starsense auto-align on wedge via the APP.  Unless doing very long exposures, the results are quite good. But not as perfect as the HC ASPA. Here is why....

The ASPA (3) genuinely tracks in RA Only. The Starsense wedge auto-align tracks in Sidereal. But as you have prior set the wedge to your latitude, DEC movement is negligible and Nil if properly polar Aligned by ASPA. I hope this makes sense!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, noah4x4 said:

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks. It'll probably make better sense when I've acquired a wedge! But I only have a Nexstar SE so Wi-Fi control will only come after I've got a Wi-Fi module.

Ian

Edited by The Admiral

• 1 year later...

Sorry for a duplicate question — I am new to this.  Am using StarSense, Celestron-Wi-Fi, SkySafari 6 Pro with my 6 SE.  I’ve been pleased for the most part but am looking for longer exposure time, up to and perhaps more, than a minute.  If I purchase a wedge, will this help increase tracking and, if so, is the a simple — step by step process to get me started any given night.  I need to move the scope and mount in and out each time I use it.  I know I can plop it down and get it close to polar aligned easily.  I was getting a bit confused with the various posts above.  Is there anything in SkySafari 6 Pro that can be “clicked” to begin the StarSense alignment process with the wedge vs just the StarSense AutoAlign?