SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M110 Finally Nailed!

cloudsweeper

Not a huge deal in amateur astronomy, I know, but this thing has evaded me for some time.

Aligned the 8SE on Caph and Almach, then away - too early, really, but I just wanted to be on the case.  M31 was placed by GoTo well in the FOV, and M32 was also very clear, lying outside the core of the parent galaxy.  Even with less-than-really-dark skies, M32 stands out as being bright, and slightly fuzzy (unlike neighbouring stars).

Stuck with it, on the principle of patience ("time at the eyepiece"), and gauged where M110 should be from the separation between the other two.  Tried different mags, and the Baader Neo filter.  Still nothing. 

Took in a couple of favourites, but basically spent two and a half hours around Andromeda.  The neighbour's living room light (curtains open, thank you) didn't help, with plenty of stray light reaching my eyes from the sides.  Then it went off...........so the bathroom light came on for ages (blind open, thank you), and being higher, that was worse.

Then at last, darkness, and using small "steps" around the target region, a definite broad fuzz sprang into view using AV.  Larger and much dimmer than M32, but I was satisfied I'd finally got it!

Packed up, with dew forming on the corrector plate, but I had also taken in a couple of new targets too:

NGC 1502 (Camelopardalis) open cluster - pretty, quite tight and dense, with several "pairs" of stars.

NGC 956 (Andromeda) open cluster - a half degree check mark (tick) of stars leading eastward to what I took to be the cluster itself in the form of a loose "S".

A very rewarding session.

Note to self: Try to wait until late evening before setting up.

Doug.

Congratulations, Doug. It’s a great feeling when you finally see a target that’s been “hiding” from you. I totally sympathise with the challenges of the neighbour’s lights. It drove me to observing with a towel over my head for awhile. I now have an observing hood which has solved that issue for me. 

Well done Doug. M110 is hard to spot unless conditions allow, especially when LP is an issue too from your observing site. Only seen it in my C8 from home. Try having a shot at Mirachs ghost not far away in Andromeda. Seen it a few times with the C8, so on a good night should be just doable. :) 

0FE06CE1-975D-429C-A234-D6D64EF63294.thumb.jpeg.d8ee4da67f67cf79410952b65bec900d.jpeg

Archived