Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

U235 Advanced Ps processing workshop

Uranium235

For SGL XIII, I will be delivering an couple of workshops, one basic, one advanced. I'll put the advanced up first because that is the one I have completed the notes for first. Here is a brief foreword from the notes:

Foreword:

The Screen Mask Invert routine (pioneered by Scott Rosen), is a technique for lifting very faint signals that sit just above the background level of an image. Such weak data can be lifted by using normal curves, but it will soon become apparent that it won’t look pretty because it will blow every single star, galaxy or nebulae in the image.

Examples of where this technique would be useful would be on things like:

Integrated Flux Nebula (IFN)

Tidal tails of galaxies

Interstellar dust fields

PN “skirts” (eg: those attached to M27 and M57)

Very faint supernova remnants (eg: Simeis 147)

There will be five places available for this session. The pre-requisites for entry are as follows:

1) Photoshop CS3 or higher

2) Gradient exterminator

3) Noels actions

4) Software capable of digital development (Maxim, Astra image etc) - but this is not essential as I can provide data with DDP already applied.

5) A laptop capable of supporting itself on battery power for at least one hour. I will try to get power over to the pod (as its unpowered), but in case of emergency I will have an inverter connected to one of my leisure batteries.

Location: One of the new pods over on Wye Meadow. I will most likely visit all attendees prior to the workshop so all of the files are in place and ready to roll (so theres no fiddling about with memory sticks).

Time: 15:00 - 16:00 Saturday

One thing is for sure.... you will walk away with a headache....lol :D:D:D

Attendees so far: (1 place remains)

Ibbo

MichaelMorris

Velvet

CJdawson

On 20/09/2017 at 23:59, Uranium235 said:

For SGL XIII, I will be delivering an couple of workshops, one basic, one advanced. I'll put the advanced up first because that is the one I have completed the notes for first. Here is a brief foreword from the notes:

Foreword:

The Screen Mask Invert routine (pioneered by Scott Rosen), is a technique for lifting very faint signals that sit just above the background level of an image. Such weak data can be lifted by using normal curves, but it will soon become apparent that it won’t look pretty because it will blow every single star, galaxy or nebulae in the image.

Examples of where this technique would be useful would be on things like:

Integrated Flux Nebula (IFN)

Tidal tails of galaxies

Interstellar dust fields

PN “skirts” (eg: those attached to M27 and M57)

Very faint supernova remnants (eg: Simeis 147)

and hopefully that squid

hopefully all the required stuff will be on the slower but longer lasting laptop :icon_jokercolor:

Im going to be in pretty much the same boat as you, to keep the power requirements down I can force my lappy into low power mode so it only uses the power of one core - that way I can get up to three hours out of it (depending on whether I thrash it or not) - plus im not using its display (bringing the monitor) so that might give me another half hour. Good job its just a single panel image then really!

It might work on the squid mate, it depends on whether you can crowbar it out of the background level with targeted curves.

Archived