Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's the Skywatcher Explorer 200 GoTo like?

Ben,

it depends what mount the SW comes on. If it's the HEQ5, then you're getting a truly excellent mount which will take more load than Celestron's CG5. The latter is also known as the "Coffee Grinder 5" because it's very noisy when it slews to objects. The HEQ5 by contrast is very quiet.

This is where your extra money is going - the mount. The actual telescopes are to all intents and purposes identical.

I would say get the CG5:

- If you are only indending to observe (i.e. do not intend to do astrophotography)

- If you do not have a desire to upgrade to a larger telescope or add another one onto the mount in the near future - the 8" is almost on the limit for the CG5

- don't mind the noise attracting undue attention in the middle of the night

- want a slightly lighter and more portable set-up

I would say get the HEQ5

- if the opposite of any of the above! :D

Andrew

Hi Ben

Im fortunate enough to own a skywatcher explorer p200 and its a superp telescope.

However i Must point out that the EQ5 mount is not a goto its a german Equitorial mount that can be motorised as I have done to mine, but the motors are an optional extra.To date I have found the mount itself more than adequate to handle the 8" OTA with very little vibration and as long as you make sure the scope is propperly ballanced the movment is silky smooth. The optics of the p200 are also of excellent quality and you will get some great observations of both planetary and DSO objects. Just be prepared for the size and weight of the scope its a 1000mm tube so the scope is an F5 focal length. Over all its a super piece of kit and i love it to bits I just need a permanent observatory so I dont have to keep moving it hope this helps regards Pete

However i Must point out that the EQ5 mount is not a goto its a german Equitorial mount that can be motorised as I have done to mine, but the motors are an optional extra.

The EQ5 can be upgraded however with the following kit

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=EQ5GOTOkit

We are assuming that this is what the OP is being offered in place of the CG5

hello blackgerby

James got it dead right Its a datum line set for due north and its the standard system I use to set up mount for polar alignment. If you bring a compass anywhere near a metal tripod you wont get an accurate alignment so what i do is set up a datum line as you can see for north then with the north leg of my mount at the point of the datum point i then simply measure the distance between the other two legs and the datum line till they are equal which on my tripod is exactly 18" and I then know that I'm starting my set up from an accurate alignment of the actual tripod. At home I have a permanent datum line set into the ground with a point for the North leg so i know that my scope is being set up accurately every time I take it out sorry call it the obsession of a surveyor Regards Pete

If you bring a compass anywhere near a metal tripod you wont get an accurate alignment

I'd noticed that, but my skyscout doesn't bat an eyelid, which confuses me.

At home I have a permanent datum line set into the ground with a point for the North leg so i know that my scope is being set up accurately every time I take it out sorry call it the obsession of a surveyor Regards Pete

Simple and effective. I'll have to have a think about whether I can do something similar.

Thanks

BG

I went for it, so it should arrive on Tuesday, I'm glad I'm off on Wed.

You won't be disappointed. I have the EQ5 Skyscan and a terrific mount it is. Same GOTO system as the HEQ5 and EQ6, so is accurate and quiet. The EQ5 holds the Explorer 200 no problem.

Having owned the HEQ5, i wouldn't consider it a worthwhile upgrade over the EQ5 on 2" steel legs. It would have to be an EQ6 to be worthwhile.

Russ

Ahh - see I use a compass away from the scope and get a bearing on that. Usually a tree or some object in the distance. Then set the scope up orientated as best as I can to the bearing and then wait for Polaris to show up so I can get a reliable fix with the polarscope.

Anything else taxes my brain too much. :D

Archived