Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Omega - More Nebula Success!

cloudsweeper

Just over an hour of observing, then in at a sensible time - so much better than summer!

I targeted Sagittarius - low in the sky, the Teapot being just over the horizon.  And the Moon still hadn't risen.

Aligned the 8SE on Altair and Deneb.  Tested the GoTo with open clusters M25, 21, and 18 - all good, and obviously better at the end of the session.

I have recently tended to use fewer EPs, concentrating heavily on the big ES 30/82 and the Meade 5000 UWA 20/82, giving x68 and x102.

So - to the main target, the Omega Nebula, a cluster with associated nebulosity.  The cluster was immediately in view, but not the nebulosity.  With the OIII filter, the stars dimmed, and the nebula appeared as a clear band, running east-west.  The UHC filter was less "aggressive", with more stars remaining in view, but the nebula still very clear.  Those filters certainly make a huge difference for targets like this!

The Eagle Nebula M16 in Serpens was not so co-operative however, and while the cluster element was pleasingly dense, no nebulosity was detected even with those filters.

By now the Moon was rising, and Sagittarius was slipping behind trees, so the session was terminated just after locating the Sagittarius Star Cloud (M24), a wide, rich star field - a patch of the Milky Way.

Doug.

Nice report! I haven't got a great horizon so I've seen my last of Sagittarius this year. Want to give the Omega a proper go but it'll be a while now till I get a chance.

M16 isn't the Eagle Nebula by the way - it's just the associated cluster. The actual nebula has the designation IC 4703, and was discovered in 1876 (with a 26" refractor!), more than a hundred years after the cluster.

Nice report!

The omega NPB is a great filter! I like mine a lot! M42 was a beauty with my dob plus ES 30mm ! :) I'd have bought that filter just for that target! 

Because of lack of transparency I didn't manage to go through Sagittarius, but expect it can work really well! 

Great report!

I caught good conditions last year when observing the Omega neb - it was almost photographic with intricate details visible in dark dust patterns.  A wonderful target!  On the same night, I too found that the Eagle was trickier.

Very nice report!  I've not bagged the Omega and M24 this year but they are favorites. The Eagle is a much harder target to get and the cluster itself can look a little nebulous itself.  At least the bright Swan is nearby to ease any frustration!!

Archived