NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hyperion vs ES ?

BRUN

just noticed the hyperion range on FLO, 68 degree FOV, £99, seem pretty good, im just wondering why i dont read about them much on here apart from the zoom

how do they compare to the ES range, which are £10-20 more ? but are 82 degree, is it always better to have the bigger FOV ?

Probably not a good iea in a 250px. Hyperons seem not to work well in fastish scopes and usually people say slower the f/6 is not good with Hyperons. As the 250px is f/4.something I suspect you will get a poor experience.

FoV is (my opinion) a bit over hyped. The eye has an acceptance of around 68 degrees so wider then that is sort of "out of view" and what happens is you have to kind of "look around the corner".  People do however like the wide open expanse idea and views.

Problem is that like everything it is not just FoV, the ES82's are nice but are 14mm and below, so that means higher magnifications and that means reduced brightness of the object and the longer focal lengths tend to be 68's and 60's. I presume no swapping beween 1.25" and 2" formats as that means more bits and more time.

I favour the ES82's and have sold my Hyperion's.  Better to get ep's that work well in all scopes as you never know what sort of telescope you might get in the future.  Yes, the Hyperion's should perform well in your C8 SCT but the build quality of the ES82's is outstanding, as well as their performance.

ES every day! I've had hyperions and liked them but only because I found astigmatism less intrusive than coma. The ES on the other hand cope well with coma and show very little astigmatism. My only critique is the do show some lateral colour on outermost bright stars but the fov is so much larger it isn't in anyway distracting. For the money though ES 82° & 100° are the best your going to get before you move up in budget to Televue and then again Pentax.

All this comparison to ES eyepieces is a bit specious because the the two are not aimed at the same market segment.  The Hyperion line is aimed at the moderately wide field, long eye relief market like the Pentax XL/XW, Vixen LVW, TV Delos, Celestron Ultima LX (marketed under other names as well), Nikon NAV-SW, and Morpheus lines.  The ES-82 line is aimed at the very wide angle, limited eye relief market like the Nagler, Vixen SSW, Celestron Luminos, and the various WO UWAN-like lines.  The ES-100 is aimed at the Ethos, Nikon NAV-HW, and Lunt/Myriad lines.  Compare like with like.

I can't use any of the ES-82 line except for the 30mm in its original form due to the limited eye relief of the rest of the line, and it is only moderately well corrected at the edge compared to the Delos/XW/ES-92 lines.  Astigmatism sufferers like myself need long eye relief to be able to wear glasses at the eyepiece.  The Hyperion line accomplishes this for a fraction of the cost of the Pentax XL/XW and Vixen LVW lines which were the only other options back when they were introduced about 15 years ago.  Since then, the Morpheus line has succeeded even more, but is still not quite at the level of correction of the best out there and costs more than the Hyperion as well.  The NAV-SW and Delos lines were also introduced since then, but are priced much higher.

The Hyperion line as well as the other $100 (give or take) 68 to 70 degree long eye relief eyepieces out there are better corrected than simple Konig-like or Erfle-like wide field eyepieces, but accomplish this feat at roughly twice to three times the price.  They also score much better eye relief (by definition of the market segment).  The ES-82 line and similar eyepieces in that market segment have much better correction again than the Hyperion line, but sacrifice eye relief to get there.  Only the ES-92 line scores basically perfect correction to the edge with a near extreme wide field of view coupled with long enough eye relief for eye glass wearer to use.  However, they get there through great bulk, weight, and cost.

My point is that the Hyperion line should not be compared to the ES-82 line because they target different market segments.  It's like saying a sports couple handles much better than a similarly priced minivan, so it must be the better vehicle, ignoring that which makes the van the preferable vehicle for many drivers, i.e., hauling capacity.  If you must compare the Hyperion line, compare it to the other roughly $100, 70-ish degree, long eye relief eyepieces out there like the Celestron Ultima LX, Astro Tech AF70, Olivon 70 degree and similar eyepieces.  You could even stretch the comparison by bringing in the Morpheus, XL/XW, LVW, NAV-SW, and Delos lines.

All right, I'll get off my soapbox now.

4 hours ago, Louis D said:

My point is that the Hyperion line should not be compared to the ES-82 line because they target different market segments. 

All right, I'll get off my soapbox now.

:huh2: but that's what the OP is choosing between. Most likely based on budget I would assume from the opening post.

I agree a comparison review between the two eyepieces would be unfair and your comments totally valid but this is as far as I'm aware not a review and is simply, 'which is better for the money?' I assume if eye relief is a possible issue the OP would have already mentioned they wear spectacles? 

The OP wants to know if the extra £10-20 in the ES82° is going to offer value over the cheaper Hyperions. In this case if you have a scope faster than f/6 there is a high probability a Hyperion is going to show noticeable aberrations over the ES82°.  

I've used Hyperions and I like them in scopes with focal ratios of F/8 or slower. In faster scopes there are a number of better 68 degree field of view choices in terms of correction of astigmatism and the ES 68 would be one of them.

I've got one of each but hard comparing since one is a 17 and the other an 8mm. I've used the Hyperion in three scopes now and it's still part of my lineup. It's a good EP though I would say I know it's weakness with astigmatism. The ES 8 is very controlled in that regard. Given a choice in buying a new mid-low mag, I'd take the ES over the Hyperion. 

Archived