Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help connecting a camera to a wo zs66 petzvel semi apo

Hi all

I have owned this little scope for a couple of years with the intention of using it for widefield Astro photography.

I managed to find a diagonal to allow me to use it visually and have found it a pleasing little scope.

the problem I have is achieving focus with a dslr, I have jut come off the phone with Ian king, hoping they would be able to help me or even sell me something to attach the camera to the scope at he right distance. They couldn't or wouldn't help. They haven't sold that scope for 10 years and can't remember what you needed to achieve focus!

when I said I might get more joy on SGL, he agreed I probably would.

So here goes....

Help! Please!

Thanks 

Bryan 

1 hour ago, m.tweedy said:

I have used one of these

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/skywatcher-field-flattener.html

with my WO 66 (not Petzvel) as i found the the draw tube did not have enough outwards travel.I already had it and it saved extension tubes.

Thanks for that

apparently the  petzvel system uses 4 lenses to produce a flat field without the need for a flattened and when I have managed to connect a camera for terrestrial use I took photos with a cropped gram canon of a pebble dashed wall and the edge was nearly as sharp as the centre, this was encouraging but I couldn't achieve focus on stars. (Not enough travel) 

i guess I'm after an extension tube that will screw on the back of the scope and give me a solid connection at the right distance for use with a canon eos with a 2" adapter on it.

With one of those scopes you really need the dedicated focal reducer / Field Flattener, as it will fit directly to the front of the camera with a T ring, and has a 2” nosepiece to slide into the scope, as the DSLR has a large sensor without this you will get poor shaped stars at the edges, and it also moves the back focus in so no problem with focus, but if you don’t want the focus tube out too far, then a 50mm 2” extension will do the trick, as it will move the camera back and the drawtube won’t stick out to far, so no slop either...

hope that helps

although nothing to do with me there is a dedicated FR/FF for this scope on eBay at the moment...the version III perfect for the ZS66 :)

Archived