Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW 200p dob connection to DSLR help

Hi SGL, need for help from the experts of sgl!

has anyone connected a DSLR to the SW skyliner 200p dob tube? Manufacturer manual says it allows DSLR direct connection, if so what do i need to acquire to connect? I m hoping to work in the 2" format.

i recently found the "imaging with 130p-ds" thread here which has instantly inspired me to get into astrophotography! I have rushed out to get myself a NEQ6pro mount, but before spending further, would really like to try my SW skyliner 200p tube first on some very easy photos.

thanks in advance! 

Ps: is SW200/250p-ds too big for use on an equatorial mount? I found some irrresistable deals on these two scopes, was originally gonna get the 130p-ds due to the stellar praises it is receiving in SGL

Dom

You need 2 items:A 2" nosepiece for the focuser and a T-ring for the DSLR.

Theory is the nose piece goes into the focuser and the T-Ring screws into the nose piece and the DSLR is a bayonet fit into the T-ring.

That will do as Skywatcher say and allow you "DSLR direct connection". What it will not do is get you an image for astrophotography. But the wording does not say that, just connection. Subtle difference.

The focal plane of the main mirror will likely be too far in for the DSLR sensor to coincide with the image (focal plane). This is normal as you have a visual scope. The work around is to loosen off the main mirror and adjust the positioning screws to move the mirror up the tube. Then get everything level again and then recollimate and then try the DSLR and see if you can get an image.

Does mean that an eyepiece will now be at the wrong position, so to use visually you will need a short extension tube to use the scope visually.

The 250P is usable for imaging but it is not easy. Scope is big, mount has to tbe big and the focal length is relatively long so you could lose a lot of exposures. An imaging scope is often short, small and fast. You will need a coma corrector for the 250 and probably for the 200.

Go find a club with imagers in and see what they use.

It depends on what you want to do with it.  If you want to spend hours taking exposures and stacking images to make the beautiful photos of deep sky objects that you see on SGL, you might be better off with a different option.  However, if you want to do what I do and occasionally take a relatively standard typical everyday photo shot of what you can easily see - the moon, the sun (with appropriate tube filter), the planets, the odd star cluster anything with a fair bit of light coming from it, then you can do this with a 200P just as I do with mine.  As alluded to above the only extra bit you need is a T ring for your camera type.  This produces a short section of flat tube sticking out from the camera that you then fit into the 2" mount on your focusser (just unscrew the first set of grub screws to remove the 1.25" adapter that should be present to reveal the 2" section.  The plant the tube from the camera up to its hilt in the 2" EP holder and off you go.  I find I have no problems focussing (though it pays to use open shutter mode and zoom in to get it crisp.  You might also find an electronic cable release (peanuts from ebay) is a great tool for reducing shake.  If you want to IMAGE then get imaging kit - if you are after shots of what you can clearly see then up to a good few seconds exposure or so you will take shots with the 200P directly.  If you have a Goto mount (even a basic one like my motorised Dobsonian), then longer exposures and some stacking are quite possible and you might even get a good shot of something like M42.  HTH

Archived