Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New portable kit

shirva

Just recently bought the new Skywatcher az gti mount as a portable set up, I also bought the L bracket for it as well,, most will know the new mount has goto and freedom encoders and is controlled via it's own WiFi to a smartphone or tablet,, I bought it to take to Iceland in February next year along with my canon DSLR.

I have found a nice bit of kit   CAMFI  it allows wireless connection to a computer, tablet and smartphone, the idea is to get a complete wireless portable kit , quick and easy to set up,,  

Hopefully being used with my laptop I can link it to astrotoaster and get some decent near live view images.

One nice feature is that the app/CAMFI  can allow multiple guests view your captures,, could be useful for outreach

Davy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

Interesting mount, Davy this should work nicely for your purposes.

Cheers Steve,, and a course my new copy of your book will get me up to speed on ap .

On 27/08/2017 at 23:41, shirva said:

Just recently bought the new Skywatcher az gti mount as a portable set up, I also bought the L bracket for it as well,, most will know the new mount has goto and freedom encoders and is controlled via it's own WiFi to a smartphone or tablet,, I bought it to take to Iceland in February next year along with my canon DSLR.

I have found a nice bit of kit   CAMFI  it allows wireless connection to a computer, tablet and smartphone, the idea is to get a complete wireless portable kit , quick and easy to set up,,  

Hopefully being used with my laptop I can link it to astrotoaster and get some decent near live view images.

One nice feature is that the app/CAMFI  can allow multiple guests view your captures,, could be useful for outreach

Davy

Be intersted in how the AZGTI mount performs.

CAMFI - A bit expensive for me for a single function item - but see  merit  - Me I would just connect(attach where the Camfi goes) a 7inch tablet (or mini/stick pc) with BYEOS/Astrotoaster to the dslr. Get the best of all worlds for the same price(about) as the CAMFI.

What are you going to use for power to drive dslr/Camfi/Mount ?

Any idea what the approx overall power consumption of the dslr/AZGTI/CAMFI will be  ?

Davy - I will be watching for your  reviews with interest :headbang:

Cheers mate,, the az gti takes 8 AA batteries but can use external power source as well usual type connection, 

The CAMFI is powered via usb from camera . I'm currently going to use the meikie progrip that holds two batteries..the CAMFI is more than what you think.. yes I could add wired monitor, tablet, phone , laptop,, ect ect but you get full wireless camera control, you can have CAMFI send images wireless to your laptop and put images into say your astrotoaster watch file and have it do it's magic ,, and also allow access to your images to guests at a star party ect via CAMFI software..

Nobody has to go near your scope,, 

Linked to a smartphone you can transmit live from your phone to Facebook.

Davy

Yes it,Camfi, does seem to do a bit more

Do you know if your BackYard Eos software will still connect and let you alter settings as usual via the Camfi - I use APT more but I am going to ask  the APT guy if it would still work as this would get rid of yet another cable in my Obsys as well ,as you point out, be useful away too!.  Subject to the "outdoor" wifi range being true.

I used to use a "grip" with 2 batteries but in cold weather the life is a lot shorter and now I use a Expro battery bank which has a dummy battery that plugs into the camera (canon anyway) battery sockets - also it weighs less than my grip inc two batteries. It also has a 5v output http://www.exprodirect.com/ex-pro-on-the-move-7600mah-rechargeable-battery-power-system-replacing-for-use-with-ex-pro-coupler-system-for-canon-nikon-and-sony-dslr-cameras..html I beleieve there is a 16000mah version too.

Wish list to make things perfect would be Ascom/Eqmod support for the AZGTI but thats never (will most likely never) as its a AZ but a nice interface to Plate Solving to support mount movement would be the "bee's knee's" - some people are never satisfied :laughing4:

Thanks for being the "Guinea pig" Davy.  

Hi the CAMFI software does away with the use of byeos,,  but can still use astrotoaster,as astrotoaster monitors a folder so by getting astrotoaster looking at the CAMFI folder we will still have stacking,,  CAMFI would be on par with using canon utilities but CAMFI has more features.. if we go to basic astrophotography or eaa with a camera and lens this looks, very nice on a two minute test,  ok we will lose auto focus when stuck on a telescope but if I were say using a 10" tablet to aid focus at the scope prior to shooting then I can't fault it,, all the things I imagined it may do actually do..

Yet again it's back to old school,, using equipment that may have been over looked for Astronomy..

The app has a great shutter timer section in advanced mode,, just like a plug in one but on a big screen You will be able to see at night

Update

Weather been poor, cloudy, 

Had a few snags on Friday night, I had my phone linked to the Skywatcher az gti and CAMFI linked to my 8" tablet,, few connection probs, found that my phone was trying to access CAMFI at Same time as tablet,, just something to watch out for.

Download the CAMFI for my laptop ,nice big live view,, one problem CAMFI shuts down the internet connection to laptop,,I'm shure I read somewhere that it can be overcome..

I prefer the laptop to the tablet , just makes things less portable

16 hours ago, shirva said:

Update

Weather been poor, cloudy, 

Had a few snags on Friday night, I had my phone linked to the Skywatcher az gti and CAMFI linked to my 8" tablet,, few connection probs, found that my phone was trying to access CAMFI at Same time as tablet,, just something to watch out for.

Download the CAMFI for my laptop ,nice big live view,, one problem CAMFI shuts down the internet connection to laptop,,I'm shure I read somewhere that it can be overcome..

I prefer the laptop to the tablet , just makes things less portable

Nothing new - new kit new problems :sad:. Doesn't sound to bad.

http://www.cam-fi.com/en/support.html - read towards the bottom - think this is your problem (maybe) - CAMFI needs to be set up on the same network as your laptop (which has the Internet) - suspect its creating its own "hotspot" and then connecting to it from your Laptop shuts down the Internet connection. Seems a simple change.

On my APT front - "Yoda" from APT has emailed CAMFI to see if there is any interface information to see if there  is  a possibility of connecting APT to CAMFI and so the DSLR. For me! - that would be ideal. 

Good luck and awaiting first light details - if the weather gets better!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi stash.

Only had the one night to get a quick test on the portable set up.

I have set up the CAMFI app on my windows 7 laptop and I'm very happy with it's operation, big screen and all it's benefits over the camera LCD, fantastic works really well just can't fault it,for wireless operation ,, only used indoors so far.

Managed to get a window of opportunity to get a quick outdoor test.

Skywatcher az gti mount,and controlled via my smartphone, canon 600d and 300mm zoom lens,CAMFI and linked to a 7" Acer tablet.

I had pretty bad viewing

I set up 60 second exposure and used iso 1600 and 3200,, 

THIS IS AN ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY IMAGE as I had limited time to test due to massive low cloud drifting in.

Hopefully I can add my ed80 soon, I'm also looking to use a watec 902h camera for live video astronomy.

Overall the portable kit does what I thought it would do..more testing required though.

FB_IMG_1506337546261.jpg

FB_IMG_1506337529138.jpg

No processing or stacking

34 minutes ago, shirva said:

Hi stash.

Only had the one night to get a quick test on the portable set up.

I have set up the CAMFI app on my windows 7 laptop and I'm very happy with it's operation, big screen and all it's benefits over the camera LCD, fantastic works really well just can't fault it,for wireless operation ,, only used indoors so far.

Managed to get a window of opportunity to get a quick outdoor test.

Skywatcher az gti mount,and controlled via my smartphone, canon 600d and 300mm zoom lens,CAMFI and linked to a 7" Acer tablet.

I had pretty bad viewing

I set up 60 second exposure and used iso 1600 and 3200,, 

THIS IS AN ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY IMAGE as I had limited time to test due to massive low cloud drifting in.

Hopefully I can add my ed80 soon, I'm also looking to use a watec 902h camera for live video astronomy.

Overall the portable kit does what I thought it would do..more testing required though.

FB_IMG_1506337546261.jpg

FB_IMG_1506337529138.jpg

No processing or stacking

Thanks keep us updated  on your progress !

Nipped over to my flat and picked up the Skywatcher ed80 and set it up on the az gti,, should be within the weight tolerance but with the canon 600d on it,,, mmm not so steady I'm afraid, I had not extended the legs,, so maybe the larger footprint with the legs extended will be better and a weight underslung on the tripod table,,

Personally I think it's more a camera/ lens mount,,, 

I have the Skywatcher allview mount and it's a lot more comfortable with the ed80 on it.

Still ,it was bought primarily for my DSLR and lens and works great for that,, and adding the CAMFI unit completed the kit in my view.

Still lot's of options breaking down the kit.

The az gti with a video camera and lens will work well

The CAMFI / DSLR on my explorer 200p D's or another scope on either of my other mounts will work well, heq5,eq3.

Done a bit of testing over the weekend, stuck the sw ed80 with sw 0.85 focal reducer on the az gti ,but this time I extended the legs to full height and was more stable on the larger footprint,

Had the canon 600d rigged up with the CAMFI unit,, old rule,, if the moon is out image the moon,, 

Was all set up CAMFI was set up to my tablet and was all set to capture a bit of moon video via the kit.

Could not get focus on the tablet,, I done a visual focus through camera view finder and was pretty spot on ,,but the image was well out of focus on the tablet,, so absolute rubbish on the moon  more testing to follow and reports soon hopefully,, bit wet and breezy in my part of Scotland just now.

I did a bit of visual and a/p since I had two nights that I could get out ,,and while  using the finder scope I felt I needed a better camera than the DSLR and have ordered the zwo Asi178 MC camera , it should be with me tomorrow,, thanks Flo,, this will move the portable kit more towards live view ,near live view, will be running it with sharpcap pro...  More learning curves ?

• 2 weeks later...

I have changed car to a seat altea,, bit better for getting to dark sky locations than my modded set Leon cupra.

I have bought a new head unit to go in it to give sat nav ect, Bluetooth hands free  but it has a few bits that may be good for Astronomy, it is android 7.1 and allows you to download apps to it,,so going to install the CAMFI app and hopefully it will allow me operate my DSLR wireless from the head unit..

Another feature is the av in , and this will allow a watec 902h to get linked in for live view Astronomy,, may even fit my 4 channel CCTV DVR in to allow it to record the live feed..  mobile observatory ?

Update, 

I asked robin at sharpcap if he  had any thoughts on creating a android version of sharpcap,, for using on the car head unit I'm waiting on to control my new zwo camera and he very kindly pointed me in the right direction,, that zwo had a android version to control there camera..so hopefully the head unit will be compatible

I've been tempted to get the GTi too. I have a few questions --

Since it's an AltAz rather than EQ mount -- what kind of exposure length on subs are you getting with the tracking before you get star trails or other problems on you ed80? I've not had an AltAz mount before but I'm really interested for a small travel solution, and I'd be looking at using it with a 60-70mm refractor so... I presume I'd get about the same, or longer.

How are you controlling the mount -- over the WiFi? Are you using the Sky-watcher app for goto only, or have you tried with Sky Safari? I've read that you can use Sky Safari but it can sometimes be problematic.

How is the Freedom Find feature -- I love the idea of this, but does it work well?

I currently use an EQ3-2 controlling it with ASCOM drivers through my PC. I take a usb out of the PC and into the Hand Controller port on the control box. Do you know if the GTi can do something similar since you can use the SynScan handset with it? 

Weather hasn't been kind to me since buying it,, 

My honest answer would be ,you get what you pay for,, for ap or av I don't think it's going to be the best, I found star trails happened pretty quickly.

But,,on the night's I got out I had only patches of clear skies and star alignment was rushed and far from perfect. So I'm hoping for better on a clear night and will update my opinion then.

Handset or  app. That's an easy one to answer,, definitely the app, I found it quicker and easier to use and would not ever put the handset back on,, in my humble opinion,

Freedom find, yip works ok on mine pretty decent,, the screws are not the most sturdiest and I'm scared they may strip out the threads,, that would be my only concern on the mount section.

Tripod wise,, not skywatched finest work , feels cheap and nasty but works ok, but given the remit of being a grab and go scope it works, but a decent photography tripod will make it a better purchase.

With the ed80 and a canon DSLR/CAMFI unit on it, I first tried it with the tripod in the lower position, I did not like it,, seemed a bit too heavy,, wasn't too happy with it,, next time out I had it fully extended and the larger footprint was a lot lot better,, no issues I found and was more confident if I bumped it,, it would not tip over.

I have only used the Skywatcher app, it could be better and if Skywatcher got there act together I'm shure it can be improved.

I have the Skywatcher allview as well and would say it's a better mount,, now if Skywatcher made it WiFi like the az gti ,, I would pick it before the az gti,, 

Don't get me wrong I like it and will keep it and it works well and has great features that should be possibly added to larger mounts but for serious work I don't think az mounts can touch the eq mounts,, I prefer my eq3 pro with eqmod and my heq5.

My choice for portable mount was between the az gti and the star adventurer and the Sam..

The az was more appealing but I would like to have tried all of them before I bought the az gti.

The adventurer has had a new colour scheme going by Flo website,, I don't know if any issues have been addressed, or the threads getting stripped on dovetail lock bolt,, but I would like to buy it or the Sam to add to my ever increasing mount kit.

Waiting on my new car stereo to try the Skywatcher app on it, to control the az gti from the car,, it is a bit hard on phone battery,, you definitely need a fully charged phone,, couple of hours on fully charged phone,, but I was using it quite a bit slewing to clear sections of a cloudy sky and using Google sky maps.

Next up, testing with zwo 178, when I get a chance.

New stereo fitted into car and Looking great just like a factory fit.

So the idea was a mobile observatory lol,, or a least a warm room and it ticks on e box so far on the install.

Download Skywatcher synscan for the az gti on to the head unit from Google play store and tested it on the mount and pleased to say it works perfect,

So I can sit in the car and control the mount wirelessly in the comfort of the front seat and heat from the car, part 1 success.

Part 2 software

Downloaded the zwo app and it went in fine and recognised the zwo asi178mc but didn't do much more,, in fairness it was the same on my Acer 7" tablet, bit more testing to be tried.

CAMFI,, canon DSLR wireless control app.. downloaded ok,, just needs tested

Google sky map

Downloaded fine and works fine,, ok has to be moved manually because there are no gyro in head unit ,,but works ?

IMG_20171022_181740.jpg

IMG_20171022_182127.jpg

IMG_20171022_182616.jpg

IMG_20171022_182356.jpg

Just need to put the kit on the roof - aka Google Mapping style - then you won need to get out of the car at all LOL

Must admit I hate ZWO kit - for me - it never quite delivers - always nearly / sometimes works (Experieince based on ZWO 120mc that hates USB connections)

Glad you are having fun and it makes soooooo much sense to do it from the warmth.

Keep bringing on the info.

Will be using a laptop with sharpcap  to run the zwo,, the new beta version has tons of features,, and really need a good few clear nights to get familiar with it,, done the day time tests and works great with the sharpcap.

Archived