Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New portable kit

shirva

FYI Davy

I have been doing some "playing" with my Canon 100d/Raspberry Pi 3/GPHOTO2/vncviewer and I have some success. I have been able to connect the Canon via the USB cable to the Rasp Pi3 so Gphoto2 can control the canon. This enables pictures ,see example below,remotely via a vncviewer session (currenly hardwired ethernet but should be wireless as well!) and as I can put the output images from Gphoto2 to a remote share (on my laptop) I could (not tried it yet - as only doing indoor testing) use Astrotaoster to stack the images. Early days but if this keeps working then I could have a remote wireless equiv of Camfi but with a lot more flexibility. Sorry to nick your thread but hought you might be interested!

rasppi3canon.png

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a slight test on some of my set up, had the car in the car park and was nearly a full moon, 4 degrees temperature wise and clouds rolling in fast 7pm,,

I had the sw ed80 / sw focal reducer and zwo asi178 linked to laptop, cable through drivers window, mount controlled via WiFi to my car head unit,, 

The test on the zwo didn't really pan out because of the clouds, but it was overall equipment test.

Mount working fine via head unit ,no issues, was great sitting in the heat and comfort of the car and working the zwo from laptop,, I got an hour of battery life from the laptop, I am waiting on a car charger for the laptop and see how it works out,

May need to get a inverter.

Probably be better if I fitted my hitecastro focus kit to the ed80 will save me getting in and out the car every time I change objects and refocus.

For totally cable free I have the canon dslr,s and the CAMFI unit, hopefully get it tested soon.

5 hours ago, shirva said:

Got a slight test on some of my set up, had the car in the car park and was nearly a full moon, 4 degrees temperature wise and clouds rolling in fast 7pm,,

I had the sw ed80 / sw focal reducer and zwo asi178 linked to laptop, cable through drivers window, mount controlled via WiFi to my car head unit,, 

The test on the zwo didn't really pan out because of the clouds, but it was overall equipment test.

Mount working fine via head unit ,no issues, was great sitting in the heat and comfort of the car and working the zwo from laptop,, I got an hour of battery life from the laptop, I am waiting on a car charger for the laptop and see how it works out,

May need to get a inverter.

Probably be better if I fitted my hitecastro focus kit to the ed80 will save me getting in and out the car every time I change objects and refocus.

For totally cable free I have the canon dslr,s and the CAMFI unit, hopefully get it tested soon.

Nice one.

RE Inverter just be careful not to flat your car battery else you will need a push start - especially with an Inverter which is not very efficient. Plus does your car have an accessories plug in for DC - if not the Cigar wiring in cars should not be overloaded else you risk damage/fire.

Maybe you might have to have a battery in the "boot" to run all your kit . 

I await the next installment

2 hours ago, stash_old said:

Nice one.

RE Inverter just be careful not to flat your car battery else you will need a push start - especially with an Inverter which is not very efficient. Plus does your car have an accessories plug in for DC - if not the Cigar wiring in cars should not be overloaded else you risk damage/fire.

Maybe you might have to have a battery in the "boot" to run all your kit . 

I await the next installment

No worries there mate,, time served mechanic and I work in an auto electrical workshop ?, half my work is auto electrical, I'm the stand in sparky when the workshop based spark is on holiday,,Im the second man on installs, kitting out service vans, hazard warning lights, split charging, night heaters, jump start systems,,, one of my tool boxes is auto electrical kit, better kitted out than our sparkies.. LOL. 

The car is getting this power panel fitted in the rear

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222540146372,

This is my head unit

IMG_20171029_133711.jpg

2 hours ago, shirva said:

No worries there mate,, time served mechanic and I work in an auto electrical workshop ?, half my work is auto electrical, I'm the stand in sparky when the workshop based spark is on holiday,,Im the second man on installs, kitting out service vans, hazard warning lights, split charging, night heaters, jump start systems,,, one of my tool boxes is auto electrical kit, better kitted out than our sparkies.. LOL. 

The car is getting this power panel fitted in the rear

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222540146372,

This is my head unit

IMG_20171029_133711.jpg

Nice one - looks good. Pity you dont live nearer - useful person a mechanic/lecky and do Astro LOL

Archived