NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Herschel 615 objects plus a bit more

Mark at Beaufort

Last night we had visitors, who left late, so I just set up the Orion VX8 and decided to view objects in Herschel 615.

I have nearly completed the Herschel 400 - just a few low objects at around - 30 degree DEC. For this reason I started the Herschel 615 list which was produced by James Mullaney in an article for Sky and Telescope in 1978.

I started the viewing night with the Nova in Scutum, which is fainter, estimated at mag 11. Moved up to M11 (which i really enjoy) then down to M26. Picked up my first H615 objects - NGC 6712 (GC) - really nice using 9mm Myraid and ES82 6.7mm. Over to OC - NGC 6728.

Now up beyond Altair to 3 open clusters - NGC 6737, 6740 and 6743 (not in list).

There are a number of PNs in Aquila, not all in H615 list, but I fancied viewing some PNs using my Astronomik O-III filter.

First up NGC 6751 (Glowing Eye), then NGC 6741 (Phantom Streak - this object was not easy but using higher mag I think I got it) also viewed OC NGC 6735 nearby. I tried to see NGC 6772 but failed. Now a lovely PN - NGC 6781 (Snowglobe Nebula) - well worth seeking out.

Its nice to explore new objects especially using just my Orion VX8 - good session.

A cracking session to be sure!

I'll have to look out the Herschel 615. The 400 is very frustrating for us "Northern" observers. Although I believe that the, splendidly named, Astronomical League compiled a Herschel 400 for the northern observer. It is definitally time to attack another list! I've been aimlessly floating since finishing the Messiers' and getting disenchanted with the standard Herschel 400.

Paul

1 hour ago, Paul73 said:

Although I believe that the, splendidly named, Astronomical League compiled a Herschel 400 for the northern observer.

Paul

Paul I did NOT know that there was a H400 list for a northern observer - thought there was only one list??. I am missing 3 - NGC 613, NGC 2185 (tried many times - too small and faint) and NGC 3621 (too low - also Hidden Treasurer 57)

Archived