My viewing area

Hello,

So I live on an estate and have a small garden where my pier is set up. I am surrounded by houses. Today I went out with an iphone app and measure the angle from my scope to the roof of the house - it was 35 degrees. I guess this means I would not be able to view\image anything until it was it least 35 degrees (this is in the East direction). Is that particularly bad though ? -  I think for imaging the nearer the Zenith the better, due to having to cut through less atmosphere. One fortunate thing is the house stops light from the new LED street lamps from ingressing on the garden, and generally it is a fairly dark area. (I was wondering if there was a simple way to put your horizon in to a tool like Stellarium?)

Thanks

Alistair

I hope i can add my own yard landscape too to Stellarium, not sure how but i hope i can do it one day or another.

My house is covering most of the South direction, and i have to go back in my yard to shoot above the house, most of the time i see Saturn that direction above my house, but of anything else then no chance, so i just neglect the Southern side for now, other sides are just the fence walls, and the nearby houses aren't covering most of it, and few trees.

On 8/10/2017 at 10:24, AlistairW said:

So I live on an estate and have a small garden where my pier is set up. I am surrounded by houses.

It must be a UK/US language usage thing, but Americans who live on an estate generally have many acres of land surrounding their house, so finding a spot with open sight lines to observe from wouldn't be an issue.

On 8/10/2017 at 10:24, AlistairW said:

Today I went out with an iphone app and measure the angle from my scope to the roof of the house - it was 35 degrees. I guess this means I would not be able to view\image anything until it was it least 35 degrees (this is in the East direction). Is that particularly bad though ?

Well, you'll get lots of boiling air coming off that roof for hours after sunset if it was a sunny day.  It would make for very poor seeing just above it.  Personally, I prize my southerly view the most because that is generally when objects are at their highest point in the sky during the night.

Archived