NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cygnus first attempt with "Point & Shoot"

i have bought a new camera for a holiday. Panasonic LX-3. has a starry sky mode that i tried tonight and it is my first ever image. not quite up to the QYH8 Atik or DSLR standard but i was pleased none the less. i have put the larger tiff as a file in ukastronomers.

8259_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

i have tried to get the light pollution down with something called "dark adjustment" in Silkypix Raw Converter that came with the camera. i have put a tiff file on ukastronomers which is 57mb. i do not yet know about processing and cannot afford the likes of Photoshop CS.

i will look into any primers later regarding levels and curves and the like, however, i do not have a guiding mount and am wondering whether, if i took a serious of sub 60 second shots to avoid light trails would i later be able to stack these jpeg's to get more detail.

Martinb published some good info on using levels and curves, they are within the imaging section here. At 60 seconds you are beginning to get some trailing. Try 30 seconds and up the ISO from 80. You'll need to experiment with the ISO to find the best compromise between noise, LP and sensitivity. I have done just that with my first images using the Z2, Captured a sequence of 30 second exposures with the Z2 tripod mounted and used DSS to stack the jpg's. If the camera allows RAW though, I'd use that instead.

its just come out and is marketed as Panasonics high end point and shoot to go up against the Canon G9 and its impending (maybe) replacement.

i bought it from Bristol Cameras. quite pricey for a point and shoot at RRP of £399. however the lens is supposed to be a good one though it only has a 2.5x zoom to try and maintain IQ.

and thanks to Lee and Enwood for adjustments

i have realised that this shot was taken at ISO 80 and i may not be able to increase the sensitivity on the camera as starry sky mode is apparently fixed at ISO80.

is this going to cause me a problem as i thought that if i use higher ISO then i would get more noise anyway.

sorry should have been clearer, without some kind of future CHDSK hack, i think i am currently limited to a maximum of 8 seconds on manual with the option of RAW. i only used the starry sky mode as it gave me the option of 60, 30 or 15 seconds exposure. i am still new to the camera and RTFM :D . although i can adjust just about anything with the camera, i think i am unable to go lower than 8 seconds

Archived