Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommendations for camera purchase

Hi all

Im in the process of changing scopes from a 200p newt to the skywatcher ed80 and was also thinking its time to move on from my dslr to try another way of imaging at the same time and i have my eye on the ZWO1600MM, my question to everyone is although the price for the camera bundle "ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool USB 3.0 Mono Camera, EFWMini Filter Wheel, 1.25" LRGB Filter Set & 1.25" H-alpha Filter Bundle" is around £1650 to £1700 in the UK but on a link to a site on ZWO facebook its $1599...well not including shipping or tax thats a difference of nearly £500 which is my new scope at the end of the day...has anyone in the UK purchased their cameras in this way or am i just looking at it all wrong?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Wayne

I didn't buy that ASI1600mm, instead i bought QHY163M alone for $1249, you convert it to GB pound, and from the same site i will buy the filter wheel that they rated at $462.74, so if i calculate both it will be around $1712, that is converted to GBP around £1313, i don't want to buy that LRGB/Ha bundle because simply i will buy different brand/maker filters, so i only buy the camera and filter wheel, and i am buying them separately that is why they are slightly more, if i was able to buy the camera and the filter wheel together then that will be even less, and QHY163M is cheaper than ASI1600mm and both are almost the same specifications with very little change [color, into dew window, buffer,...etc].

Forgot to say that i bought the camera with shipping free and no customs duty, and i assume the same will be with the filter wheel, so getting both at only items rates is nice, even if the shipping is included at least the price is very nice, but i don't think they can ship to UK free, so i am lucky.

Good luck in your purchase.

I didn't buy the filter wheel yet, and that price is for the filter wheel with larger sizes filters and medium size wheel, if i go with the small size wheel for less accommodating filters such as 6x1.25" then it will be at around $360, i will pay $100 more to get larger size filters and the wheel is Ultra Slim and can accommodate 7 x 36mm, this is what i need more than only 5-6 slots.

Sounds the site can ship free to UK for at least $180, the filter wheel alone is above $180, so the camera and whatever else is way expensive enough to eligible free shipping, but the site only sell QHY cameras from what i see.

I got the camera delivered to me by Aramex, i didn't pay any customs or whatever, i was very very surprised, if it was DHL or FEDEX or UPS i will definitely pay a lot, USPS is sending to our P.O.Box, sometimes i don't pay anything if the boxes are not heavy or small medium size, the camera box wasn't heavy or big, so i may get it from P.O.Box as well free from charge.

Now with ASI1600mm, i never see any site cheaper prices and never free shipping, unless you can find a UK based store that can ship it to you free then you can go for that, pat for tax or VAT or whatever because at least you got it free shipping.

Good luck!

Well at $1600 if you convert and then add VAT the sum comes out to just below £1500. so it would be £150 to £200 less which is a good saving.

Would seem to be a reasonable deal, cannot see anything missed out that would cause it to jump in cost at this end, even if they add shipping and VAT on that I doubt that it would eat into the saving by more then £50.

Maybe check out the feedback on the cameras, basically is there a known problem that has caused peiople to return them for a replacement item. You do not want to have to consider the return to ZWO option for the simple hassle involved.

Who is it shipped through and have you a choice? I looked at something from the US and found that although FedEx were a bit more initial cost they paid the VAT for you and invoiced you at or after delivery. Meant it arrives a lot quicker. If it gets handed to our PO/Parcel Force they seem to hang on to it for a few weeks to agree the VAT and then they add an admin cost for it all. So the slightly lesser shipping is wiped out by the admin charge and the whole lot is delayed longer via a shipper that hands it to to PO/PF group.

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated...i will look into it a bit more nearer the time, like you say Ronin if our Admin get a hold of it there is no telling what costs are incurred....thanks again

Personally, having fallen foul of needing to send stuff back to foreign  (outside of EU) climes....... I wouldn't get something like a camera from abroad, even if the saving was potentially £200.... The weight of a decent retailer behind you should anything go wrong is worth it's weight in gold and for me would certainly be worth £200 :) 

27 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Personally, having fallen foul of needing to send stuff back to foreign  (outside of EU) climes....... I wouldn't get something like a camera from abroad, even if the saving was potentially £200.... The weight of a decent retailer behind you should anything go wrong is worth it's weight in gold and for me would certainly be worth £200 :) 

I totally agree. Complex electronic items need backup close at hand. I would only ever buy from a reputable dealer.

Olly

Archived