NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Something At Last - A Cluster & A Planet!

cloudsweeper

I haven't seen anything other than the Moon for weeks, and last time I ventured out on seeing stars, they were clouded over by the time I had set up.

So I wasn't expecting much this morning when stars were again on view.  For ease, I used the ST120 instead of the 8SE.

From Gienah (Cygnus), I tried The Veil - various mags, with/without UHC - no joy, sky too light, but it was a treat to see a dense starfield again!

Then Sadr, and after the cloud had shifted, open cluster NGC 6910 came into view as just a triangle.  Increasing the mag slightly to x43, more of its stars appeared with the improved contrast, many as a faint, tight line - a pleasing spectacle. 

By 4.20am it was getting light, so session over - until a glance out of a window to the east revealed Venus.  After a quick set-up in the porch, it appeared as a featureless dot with lots of CA, so I raised the mag to x150 and masked off most of the aperture to see that Venus was at just over 50% of its disc.

In spite of clouds and a light sky, I had an enjoyable spirit-raising hour - a taste of better things to come!

Doug.

Nice session Doug. It was nice and clear last night, and I was planning to get the scope out to have a looksie. I was pretty zonked out from work though, and made the mistake also of having a couple of cocktail drinks, so by 11pm I was ready for bed rather than ready for any astronomy. Hoping to get out instead tonight to view again. Feel kind of guilty wasting a good clear night! ;) 

2 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Nice session Doug. It was nice and clear last night, and I was planning to get the scope out to have a looksie. I was pretty zonked out from work though, and made the mistake also of having a couple of cocktail drinks, so by 11pm I was ready for bed rather than ready for any astronomy. Hoping to get out instead tonight to view again. Feel kind of guilty wasting a good clear night! ;) 

Thanks, Gus.  I just wish I'd woken up an hour earlier!

Good luck for tonight - and keep off the "cocktails"!

Doug.

12 minutes ago, Richard Hather said:

Exactly my thoughts the night are definitely getting a bit darker ?

Lovely report a very enjoyable read I've tried a couple of times recently to observe the veil and failed both times ? Maybe next time.

Thanks Richard - glad it's not just me!

(As an aside, we were in your neck of the woods two weeks ago on the E. Lancs. Railway.  Very good!  A credit to them for serving a four-course meal (plus coffee) to 130 people on a five-coach train!)

Doug.

2 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Thanks Richard - glad it's not just me!

(As an aside, we were in your neck of the woods two weeks ago on the E. Lancs. Railway.  Very good!  A credit to them for serving a four-course meal (plus coffee) to 130 people on a five-coach train!)

Doug.

It's lovely isn't it we go on the train over Halloween and Christmas they certainly know how to throw a party ?

Archived