NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ND filter for solar eclipse???

Revaron

Hello all, I'm in a bit of a panic - I had purchased a solar filter for my camera to use for the upcoming eclipse, and have been using it to get a feel for it.  Well, truth be told it was a touch too big for the lens, the three rubber feet didn't quite go around it tightly, and while using it I bumped the tripod, the filter fell off and ended up with a dent in the film.  Still intact, but not going to be ideal for photography.  Obviously a disappointment, but I would be more disappointed if it happened while setting up on the day, so provided I'm able to find a suitable replacement I'll take the experience as a positive.  But of course time is short...

I have come across some screw in solar filters for camera lenses on astronomy sites, but of course the 67mm version which I need is out of stock.  I have however seen NDx400 (9 stop) filters advertised as being suitable for eclipse photography, at an agreeable price.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  Are they in fact suitable?  I wouldn't have thought 9 stops would be enough, but the marketing clearly says it is suitable for solar eclipses.  But I can't really afford to make any more mistakes at this point.  I will be shooting with a 200mm lens through a 2x teleconverter.  Any alternative suggestions would be most welcome - thanks in advance!!!

5 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

You could get a bigger filter and use it with a step up ring, I usually stick to 77 mm these days as its the size of my largest lens fitting (sigma 17-50 mm f/2.8) save me having to buy lots of them

Alan

Thanks Alan, solid advice, as it happens the 67mm is the largest I currently have, but I doubt that will remain true for long.  Question is though - what type of filter?  Do you mean go for another Baader filter, but bigger, or do you think an ND filter would cut it?

11 minutes ago, Revaron said:

Thanks Alan, solid advice, as it happens the 67mm is the largest I currently have, but I doubt that will remain true for long.  Question is though - what type of filter?  Do you mean go for another Baader filter, but bigger, or do you think an ND filter would cut it?

I think you need a 10 stop but not absolutely sure, I did find these though http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/thousand-oaks-threaded-black-polymer-solar-filter-for-camera-lenses.html and this http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/seymour-solar-threaded-camera-solar-filter.html

Alan

1 minute ago, Alien 13 said:

I think you need a 10 stop but not absolutely sure, I did find these though http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/thousand-oaks-threaded-black-polymer-solar-filter-for-camera-lenses.html

Alan

Yeah I'd seen those actually, but I hadn't considered a step up ring, so I think you may have hit on a suitable answer!!!  I have also found an apparently good quality 10 stop ND filter at a similar price, but considering the very limited window to secure the right product the above seems like the right solution, so I'll contact them to make sure they can get one out in time.  Thank you very much for your help!!!!  In the meantime, if anyone else has any suggestions, still open to them!

The cheap option is to get hold of a low cost clear or uv filter then dismantle it and cut some baader film the same size as the filter glass then reassemble with both the original glass and solar film together. This should hold the baader film very securely.

Alan

Thanks all!  I just went ahead and purchased a 77mm threaded solar filter (ND 5.0 / 16 stops), along with the necessary adaptor.  It was the last one in stock on rothervalleyoptics (as posted by Alan), and seemed like the best option so I didn't hesitate.  Might be interesting for seriously long exposure landscapes and stuff as well, but should definitely allow me to capture the progression of the eclipse.  So - clouds permitting - I should hopefully be able to add my own photos to the barrage that will hit on the 22nd!!!

20 hours ago, Revaron said:

Hello all, I'm in a bit of a panic - I had purchased a solar filter for my camera to use for the upcoming eclipse, and have been using it to get a feel for it.  Well, truth be told it was a touch too big for the lens, the three rubber feet didn't quite go around it tightly, and while using it I bumped the tripod, the filter fell off and ended up with a dent in the film.  Still intact, but not going to be ideal for photography.  Obviously a disappointment, but I would be more disappointed if it happened while setting up on the day, so provided I'm able to find a suitable replacement I'll take the experience as a positive.  But of course time is short...

I have come across some screw in solar filters for camera lenses on astronomy sites, but of course the 67mm version which I need is out of stock.  I have however seen NDx400 (9 stop) filters advertised as being suitable for eclipse photography, at an agreeable price.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  Are they in fact suitable?  I wouldn't have thought 9 stops would be enough, but the marketing clearly says it is suitable for solar eclipses.  But I can't really afford to make any more mistakes at this point.  I will be shooting with a 200mm lens through a 2x teleconverter.  Any alternative suggestions would be most welcome - thanks in advance!!!

Relax, you have time to figure it out.

What I'm doing is: I got a Baader filter that is mounted in plastic. I mounted that in a 4" pipe piece. To that, I used the hook side of some sticky backed velcro as a centering/padding medium.

The assembly fits well into the lens hood of my intended solar shooting camera lens, a Tamron 150-600 mm. At totality, my plan is to simply remove the lens hood, and to replace it as totality ends for the eclipse.

But it is secure, and sound, with no possible leakage. And easily removed/replaced.

So think outside the box. You may find you can quickly adapt using a few bits you may already have. :wink:

Easy does it.

Archived