NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mak 127 Adaptors for Sun Observation

Rafalle

I wish to prepare my MAK 127 for Sun Observation.

6 points to be solved:

Safety

Front 127 mm glass filter

Prism with heat extractor

Eyepiece filter

Eyepiece for sun

Safety

From your experieneces please make me a picture !

Thank you

you will be needing a solar filter to fit the objective/end of scope , like  badder solar film or full glass filter "which is the pricey option" 1000 oaks ect, I wouldnt use a solar wedge because of the heat build up on your mirrors. charl.

I think prisms with heat extractors are only safe with refractors. With a maksutov the suns heat would be concentrated (albeit not focused to a point) on the secondary mirror and i assume would heat it and the meniscus lense up considerably.

Eyepiece sun filters are not recommended as being safe.

All you need to be safe is a white light filter at the front of the scope like this...

20170422_135502_HDR.thumb.jpg.1a66091ad8e4515eb79f207f51286c71.jpg

With regard to eyepiece colour filters I sometimes use a baader solar continuum filter, basically it's a green filter that filters down to
 light your eyes are more sensitive to and it cuts out blue light scatter from the atmosphere.

I use eyepieces to give magnifications around 95x to 190x.

Safety wise an observing hood stops you getting sunburn and helps you to see more. I would also recommend writing a checklist for setting up and taking down and following it so you don't make a mistake and wreck your scope.

I put a hand on the solar filter to double check it is on and secure every time I go to the eyepiece. It may sound ocd but one day it will probably save me from a disaster.

I agree with the above, although your kit list seems show both a front full aperture filter AND a Herschel Wedge. The Wedge is not needed, but a full aperture front filter definitely is for your type of scope.

7 hours ago, Rafalle said:

Just the 127 glass filter?

How I can convert this MAK 127 for a H alpha?

Thousand Oaks have a H-alpha system consisting of a ERF (energy rejection filter) and a H-alpha filter unit. The system is compatible with refractors and SCTs, but no mention of Maks. Might be better to get a dedicated Ha telescope.

Archived