Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First upgrades

Hi there,

Im currently using a Celestron 130SLT but after about a year of basic planets & stars and an early foray into astrophotography, i am looking at slowly upgrading my equipment.

First step i thought was to upgrade my mount from the supplied one, to a NEQ6 PRO SkyScan.

Would this mount work with the 130SLT tube? I was hoping to do my upgrades over a few years due to cost, and read that the mount was the most important thing, so thought about that first, but don't want to ruin my views with a silly combination of tube & mount.

Any help, advice and comment very welcome.

Cheerio.

Speng.

Seems to me like a big jump to very serious mount from your starter scope. I would think it would be better to sell your scope and mount and lookout for a second hand setup. It's always good to try some different types of scopes and mounts making smaller steps. Saying that I have seen some good second hand heq5 pro combos with ed refractors or MAKs that would give you a good upgrade.

i also think eyepieces may be a first priority as there are big viewing improvement possible by just getting better quality eyepieces.

It appears that the OP is contemplating astro-photography. I assume that is why he has picked the NEQ6 PRO SynScan as suitable for this purpose.  His original scope might serve as a starter astro-photography scope AFAIK.  There seems no reason why the 130mm (Newtonian reflector, I assume) will not work on the heavy-duty mount for both visual and astro-photography. It may clamp straight on or require a trivial mod, depending on what size dovetail the heavy-duty mount uses. No doubt those with astro-photography experience can advise further.

If cash and storage are not at a premium, he might as well keep the original SLT kit as a grab'n go or travel scope outfit.

When making a big jump like this I would advise you to go have a look at one first if at all possible, someone fell out with me about this once. The NEQ6 is not a small mount and if the expectation is to carry it in and out whenever the opportunity presents itself, then size and weight will be a factor. I suspect that the reason many sell up with the reason that the equipment just is not being used is that the equipment does not lend itself to ease of being used some the person lets it sit somewhere doing nothing.

There is an SGL group or bunch that meet up around your area, maybe one of them has the mount for you to take a look at.

The mount alone should not alter the views you get as that is basically a function of the scope. So in some ways if you want an immediate improvement then the mount will not  provide that. The scope may be held more stable and you may get better tracking. However the NEQ6 will last almost forever.

Thanks of the comments all.

the current scope is fine, struggling to get decent views outside the solar system or bigger deep sky.

As for photography, current focus is done via a Barlow with a DSLR, only issue is that you only need to fart near the setup and its shaking for about 20 seconds. Would really like to try deep sky imaging, but the tracking on the 130SLT is not setup for this.

Size of scope isn't really a problem, the scope currently lives in the house, but if upgraded will get booted into the garage, so only about 10ft to move into the garden.

I would go straight for scope & mount upgrade, question is mainly to try an do it in 2-3 purchases so the wife doesn't kill me.

If not already suggested then before spending any money this book is said to be a good grounding.

'Making Every Photon Count'

You already have a mount you already have a DSLR, put the telescope aside and see what you might be doing already to wet your feet while you read and digest the book.

link here

NEQ6 is heavy. I'm reasonably fit and yeah, it's a real workout to move it assembled with tripod and weights in one go. And it's got plenty of edges to scratch your arms. 

Do I regret getting it instead of Heq5? No, not at all. It can be disassembled. And while it's not the most portable of mounts, it can be done and its future proof. You can put majority of scopes on it with no probs. 

My reasoning was - if (when) I move to astrophotography, it will be capable with different scopes, be it largish newt or heavy frac. Plus camera, plus guiding. If I bought eq5 I would have one hell of a time explaining to my wife why I need an upgrade. Splashed once and that's that. I sneaked in EQDIR cable (not noticed) and an eyepiece (raised eyebrow by the better half, but it was like 10% of the mount scope and I pretended I shopped around so money saved overall) with it too ?. 

19 hours ago, Spengler said:

Thanks of the comments all.

the current scope is fine, struggling to get decent views outside the solar system or bigger deep sky.

As for photography, current focus is done via a Barlow with a DSLR, only issue is that you only need to fart near the setup and its shaking for about 20 seconds. Would really like to try deep sky imaging, but the tracking on the 130SLT is not setup for this.

Size of scope isn't really a problem, the scope currently lives in the house, but if upgraded will get booted into the garage, so only about 10ft to move into the garden.

I would go straight for scope & mount upgrade, question is mainly to try an do it in 2-3 purchases so the wife doesn't kill me.

We have all been there, its amazing that my wife is always on hand when a new expensive looking parcel arrives. Your first instinct on the mount will address your imaging issues that you have with your light alt-az, which will not be good for AP tracking.  The heavier EQ mount is ideal for AP and wount take as long to settle.

I also think the weight does matter, my mount is the lighter HEQ5 Pro which I like but I have to set this up in three stages. First move the mount with tripod. Then the counter weights. and then finally I move the scope. If you have a permanent site for your mount that makes it more usable.

So go for your nice mount, you won't be disapointed. But you will miss how easy and quick the old mount was to get into place. Some would say try to keep both...but I had to promise a clearout when I got my more expensive mount.

Will

On 9-7-2017 at 21:11, Erla said:

NEQ6 is heavy. I'm reasonably fit and yeah, it's a real workout to move it assembled with tripod and weights in one go. And it's got plenty of edges to scratch your arms. 

Do I regret getting it instead of Heq5? No, not at all. It can be disassembled. And while it's not the most portable of mounts, it can be done and its future proof. You can put majority of scopes on it with no probs. 

My reasoning was - if (when) I move to astrophotography, it will be capable with different scopes, be it largish newt or heavy frac. Plus camera, plus guiding. If I bought eq5 I would have one hell of a time explaining to my wife why I need an upgrade. Splashed once and that's that. I sneaked in EQDIR cable (not noticed) and an eyepiece (raised eyebrow by the better half, but it was like 10% of the mount scope and I pretended I shopped around so money saved overall) with it too ?. 

To be honest it is a bad idea to move your mount with weights and tripod attached. There will be strain in places where it is not meant to be and I am not talking about your body... Especially with a heavy mount like the NEQ6.

Archived