NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Digital setting circles

Am I right in saying that these are push-to systems?

I've only just recently cottoned on to what these are about and I'm intrigued - next best thing to go-to and they can be fitted to dobs :clouds2:

Is anybody using these add-on systems. I've been reading about the Sky Commander system in particular but I don't know if they're available from any UK dealers. I love the fact that it can be run from it's own battery supply or an external power source so no real need to rely on external power.

I know at least one member has an Orion Intelliscope with it's own built-in digital setting circles but are these kits readily available in the UK? Is there a system particular suited to Skywatcher dobs?

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for star-hopping and finding things the hard way but with the limited observing opportunities, anything that allows you to see as much as possible in the brief and few and far between observing sessions can only be a good thing. Plus I love simple gadgets like this and would like to pimp my dob some more :)

Ian

I've got the televue digital setting circles on a televue gibraltar alt az mount. I REALLY like them. They are very easy to set up - level, then find two stars, and you're off. If you don't want to see the planets you don't even have to input date, time and location. Using them is a bit like the golden shot (if you're old enough to remember :clouds2: ) as it gives arrows with numbers for which direction you need to go in, so you push the scope until you home in on 0-0. Very quick and quiet (no motors!) and runs off an internal 9v battery which lasts for ages (as no motors just a display to power). The one disadvantage with the TV system is that it only gives names to messier objects and bright stars - the rest have to be done using the catalogue numbers (contained in a book they supply, or from other books or software).

It is quite expensive though - got mine as a package with the mount, and secondhand.

SCS Astro do the JMI version and Venture scope do TV (although I'm not sure they do the encoders for a Dob).

I've seen a couple of simpler and cheaper alternatives recently here in the UK. The Wixey is one - gives you altitude measurement - which allows you with the aid of a computer programme on a handheld, phone or computer (or researched earlier and written down) to get to the right altitude, which then just leaves you one way of movement to search. Very effective apparently, and cheap from FLO. Alternatively http://www.manortronics-force-gauges.com/Astro looks good!

HTH

Helen

Try the Wixey angle guage for your altitude movement.

Simply attach it to your scope as it is magnetic and press "zero".

It then tells you what degree your scope is pointing. A little sweep in AZ and you find your target.

Can't be easier.

The wixey gauge would require the use of a separate computer to convert RA/DEC to Alt/Az. DSC's have their own inbuilt dedicated CPU that does this for you. I like this feature too. I used to have an Ipaq handheld but it packed in recently. If I still had it I'd consider a wixey.

On the other hand, if I fitted a DSC gadget, the dob OTA might not be so easy to remove from the base when packing up.

mmm.... more research is needed.

Helen - I do remember the golden shot, right a bit, left a bit, up a bit... fire! :clouds2:

I'll check out the suggestions with the supplied links above and see where that takes me.

So far I've stumbled on:

Sky Commander

Televue Sky Tour

Argo Navis

JMI SGT-Max

Manortronics Astro-Fix

Wixey

I have a feeling that the Alt & Az encoders that need to be fitted to the base (with the full-blown DSC's) might make it difficult to separate the OTA and base when packing up so an Astro-Fix or Wixey might be the only option. This would mean having to get a new handheld though which I'm reluctant to do.

I bought the astro fix locater to use with my Dob, but not got round to using it yet.

I take it you need a program like Stellarium or Starry Nights to set in the co ordinates, and needs to be set in real time to align with the object?

I think its more a caase of get the co-ordinates from your program and then manually rotate/raise scope until the readout matches the desired co-ordinates.

I'm looking at getting a dob, and the astro-fix is certainly an interesting addition.

Wayne

The wixey gauge would require the use of a separate computer to convert RA/DEC to Alt/Az.

Does this mean the Wixey would be good to use on an EQ mounted scope (i.e. SCT)? The reason I ask is that I have a none GOTO EQ mount and I would like to make life easy when it comes to pointing the scope at objects that I know the RA/DEC co-ords.

Many thanks in advance.

You are correct in it needs a seperate computer to change RA/DEC to Alt/AZ but cartes Du Ceil and I'm sure other software programs give you object positions in both formats.

I'm also keen on this as well....

http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/index.php?target=products&product_id=137

This if fitted correctly can sit alongside my wixey on the secondry housing and tell me what Azimuth reading I have.

The wixey gauge would require the use of a separate computer to convert RA/DEC to Alt/Az.

Does this mean the Wixey would be good to use on an EQ mounted scope (i.e. SCT)? The reason I ask is that I have a none GOTO EQ mount and I would like to make life easy when it comes to pointing the scope at objects that I know the RA/DEC co-ords.

Many thanks in advance.

The Wixey would be pretty much useless for an EQ mount as it measures inclination only ie. altitude. It's basically a digital spirit level that gives a readout for any angle from 0-90 degrees - it may possibly even give negative angles for when the 'scope is pointing downwards (not sure of that though)

It's more suited to dobs and other alt-az mounted 'scopes.

From what I've read so far though, full digital setting circles can be used on EQ mounts, even dobs placed on those EQ tracking platforms specifically designed to give dobs tracking capability.

I've been doing a bit more reading on this (reviews, etc) and so far the Argo Navis is coming out on top (link above in Whippy's post :p ). It seems to have more features than most goto systems :lol: , bar the tracking and slewing of course :clouds2:

It's supplied with the appropriate mounting kit for a very wide range of existing mounts including Synta Skywatcher dobs and the manufacturer has links to free firmware and software upgrades on their site.

No dealers in the UK though (none found so far :) ) so if I decide on this one I'll probably have to buy from the manufacturers in Australia.

Looking at the downloadable encoder installation pdf file (for Skywatcher dob bases) it seems relatively simple to fit. The altitude encoder fitting replaces the handle on the opposite side to the tensioner handle and the azimuth encoder fitting replaces the central bolt in the base but retains the existing teflon washer and sleeve.

I'm sorely tempted :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ian, don't be put off by ordering from Wildcard Innovations.I ordered a power lead from them a while back and the transaction was a very smooth one.

There response to my initial email enquiry was super fast and they supplied all the relevant information including price of item and shipping cost to the UK.

Archived