NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DLSR Mounting Equipment for Skywatcher Explorer 130PDS.

I have recently started in this hobby with the purchase of a skywatcher 130PDS, and while taking photos down the eyepiece with a phone and holding my lense-less 750D up to the eyepiece "hole" (don't know the correct term) suffices to get blurry images of the moon, I was wondering what proper kit I'd need to securely and stably mount my canon 750D (EOS mount) to the scope for some more serious astrophotography?

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, DebatedNothing said:

I have recently started in this hobby with the purchase of a skywatcher 130PDS, and while taking photos down the eyepiece with a phone and holding my lense-less 750D up to the eyepiece "hole" (don't know the correct term) suffices to get blurry images of the moon, I was wondering what proper kit I'd need to securely and stably mount my canon 750D (EOS mount) to the scope for some more serious astrophotography?

Thanks.

All you need is a EOS t-ring. The eyepiece holder has two parts, unscrewing the holder will reveal a thread that matches the t-ring. Screw the t-ring and holder adapter together and attach the camera body.

Just like in this video

You need the Nose piece, the T-Ring and for the realistic obtainig imags you need an Intervalometer.

The Nose Piece and T-Ring attaches the DSLR to the scope, the Intervalometer controls the taking of the images that you later stack. You set the Intervalometer to take say 20 exposures each of 30 seconds and set it going. You will need to set a wait period after each exposure. This is for a bit of cooling of the sensor as it gets warm/hot and also to allow time for the DSLR to write to the memory card.

When you are happy to head out to get your images then take a set of binoculars, it gets boring waiting for the DSLR to collect everything.

Set the DSLR to something like ISO 800, and a 230 second exposure or "M" if you have one - can be hidden, mine is. You have the set everything to Manual and you have to focus on something distant.. For a wait time try the same as the exposure time. So the intervalometer is 30 second exposure, 30 second wait and 20 repititions. Takes 20 minutes so the need for the binoculars.

2 hours ago, DebatedNothing said:

Thanks.

Good first scope and good camera so definitely best to get the T adaptor and get off to a good start ... I took the pic below with my Skywatcher 130P and Canon 70D with T adaptor in line ... Just on the off chance you don`t know already , with the Moon crank the ISO well up so you can get a higher shutter speed , for example ISO 800 and shutter speed 1/1000 and always use M manual mode for this ... the higher shutter speed reduces motion blur and gives sharper results ... the 2 second timer comes in handy too ... Good luck .

capture-20170706-225900.jpg

Another thing you need is a book called "making every photon count" available at FLO.
This is te beginning astrophotographer's 'bible' and often not just for beginners. You will find everything you need to know in there and alot of tips. It will spare you a lot of unnecessary purchases and gives you a good insight in what is possible and what is not

I know this has been said many before in this forum, but thought I should mention it anyway.

10 hours ago, ronin said:

You need the Nose piece, the T-Ring and for the realistic obtainig imags you need an Intervalometer.

I have a remote shutter which can do intervals already from more "conventional"/"terrestrial" photography, ordered the T-Ring but according to some others I shouldn't need a nose piece so I'm going to hold on that until the T-Ring arrives and see.

Archived