NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What is this nebula? w/screenshot.

Hi all.

On stellarium there is a nebula in cygnus to the right of ngc6888 just near the star n Cyg, i have searched and searched dso's in cygnus but cannot find what this nebula is, can someone help so i can image it please.

2 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Can you directly enter RA/Dec coordinates? If yes then they are:

J2000: 314deg 13' 41.6" / 54deg 12' 33.9"

JNow: 314deg 28' 28.5" / 54deg 12' 34.5"

Thats great thanks Geof, thats me sorted for the next three nights if bbc weather is to be believed.

4 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:
7 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Can you directly enter RA/Dec coordinates? If yes then they are:

J2000: 314deg 13' 41.6" / 54deg 12' 33.9"

JNow: 314deg 28' 28.5" / 54deg 12' 34.5"

Thats great thanks Geof, thats me sorted for the next three nights if bbc weather is to be believed.

Sorry, I gave you the Ecliptic Long/Lat by mistake :(. Check my edit above for the RA/Dec - retrieved from Stellarium. Geof

1 minute ago, geoflewis said:

Sorry, I gave you the Ecliptic Long/Lat by mistake :(. Check my edit above for the RA/Dec - retrieved from Stellarium. Geof

Got it thanks geof, i'll give it a try in a couple of hours so i'm ready for tomorrow night, just testing on sadr region at moment.

1 hour ago, pipnina said:

I remember asking this very same question some time ago, no idea why they have the image but no designation assigned to it! Sounds like it could cause nothing but confusion...

Glad it's been identified at least.

I agree - if you show an object out there, it should be marked with it's identities.

Woof!

Dave

5 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:
6 hours ago, pipnina said:

I remember asking this very same question some time ago, no idea why they have the image but no designation assigned to it! Sounds like it could cause nothing but confusion...

Glad it's been identified at least.

I agree - if you show an object out there, it should be marked with it's identities.

Woof!

Dave

Stellarium 0.15.2 does show the designation if you tick any of the check boxes for SH-2, LBN or Ced catalogs on the DSO tab of the sky and viewing options window (F4) as shown in the below screenshot. Hope this helps. Geof

Just now, geoflewis said:

Stellarium 0.15.2 does show the designation if you tick any of the check boxes for SH-2, LBN or Ced catalogs on the DSO tab of the sky and viewing options window (F4) as shown in the below screenshot. Hope this helps. Geof

Try again...

2 minutes ago, geoflewis said:
4 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Try again...

.....and again. Clearly the group won't allow screenshots to be saved directly from clipboard so here is a jpeg created....

5940dbda7df84_Stellariumscreenshot.JPG.bb80841138beb92696b2da428d0d1cb6.JPG

In some defence of the planetarium software and if we take SS5 as an example then SS5+ has 31586 DSO's in the database, SS5Pro has 743500. They will use the same actual skymap so the 2 versions of SS5 will display on the scren the same things but they have not entered something like the data on 700,000 of the objects in 5+

Maybe purchase SS5 Pro ($40) and see if they have the object and information in that.

Stellarium is very open to suggestions, which is great!

Others aren't as responsive - which shall go nameless. By the by, my copy of Stellarium does have all the catalogs checked-off. I love it!

Great software-program - always being upgraded.

Dave

Archived