Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Secrets of the Super Elements

I wondered quite what this would be about...
Watched at 03-00 on Thursday 25th May! :p

Forget oil, coal and gas - a new set of materials is shaping our world and they're so bizarre they may as well be alien technology. In the first BBC documentary to be filmed entirely on smartphones, material scientist Prof Mark Miodownik reveals the super elements that underpin our high-tech world. We have become utterly dependent on them, but they are rare and they're already running out. The stuff that makes our smartphones work could be gone in a decade and our ability to feed the world depends mostly on a mineral found in just one country. Mark reveals the magical properties of these extraordinary materials and finds out what we can do to save them.

An interesting and thought provoking program though. Still on BBC iPlayer
If nothing else re. driving a 20 Ton roller over a Tungsten Carbide sphere! :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08rv9r6/sign/secrets-of-the-super-elements

I take all this "gone in 10 years" with a big pinch of salt. While I'm a firm believer in sustainability, I also recognize the fact that 2/3 of planets surface is largely unexplored. For that matter, huge areas of landmass are unexplored. Take Siberia, or Antarctic. Or such places as Afghanistan. 

I don't say we have to dig it all out. But in early nineties we were told we will finish oil by what is now. 

Nevertheless I know I'll enjoy this documentry. As soon as I finish last three episodes of season4 house of cards I'll have a look. 

Archived