M63 with Tidal Loops

Tom OD

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

No idea!

Olly

Seems to be upon looking into it for a bit.  May be possible to raise the FWC of small pixels in the design phase (but probably not significantly)  and not for amateurs (cost would not be sustainable).  I hope I am wrong.

Rodd

Very nice, although I do have a feeling it has a red hue to it.

If I use the grey point sampler in PS on the background, I am getting more blueish tidal streams around the galaxy.

23 hours ago, Rodd said:

Is it impossible to have a small pixel with a high FWC?  Is that relationship governed by an inflexible physical law?

Rodd 

I am by no means a CCD expert, but I was told the dynamic range is controlled by the well depth of a single pixel. The bigger the pixels, the greater the dynamic range as each pixel will have larger capacitors attached.

Processing colour from a large pixel camera will be easier as you have more signal to work with.

Pieter

4 minutes ago, pietervdv said:

If I use the grey point sampler in PS on the background, I am getting more blueish tidal streams around the galaxy.

I am by no means a CCD expert, but I was told the dynamic range is controlled by the well depth of a single pixel. The bigger the pixels, the greater the dynamic range as each pixel will have larger capacitors attached.

Processing colour from a large pixel camera will be easier as you have more signal to work with.

Pieter

I guess tiny pixels would be great for Ha--or Lum.

Rodd

4 hours ago, peter shah said:

Stunning... no mean feat capturing that tidal loop. lovely colour balance too. Simply beautiful

Cheers Peter. I think Olly got good clean data here. It's a new camera so we were unsure as to how it would perform, but I think it's a great match for a 1m scope. 

On 15/06/2017 at 19:44, pietervdv said:

Pieter

Hi Pieter

i ll check that out when I look with the dropper. Up to a pint in my processing I tend to balance the colour to be scientifically correct. Then I normally mess with it later in the non linear phase to my liking.  Purely from a visual point of view. 

Tom. 

Archived