Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M63 with Tidal Loops

Tom OD

Hi All,

Here is a joint image from Olly and myself. Data collection was done by Olly, and this version was processed by myself.

This is 18hours of data, 9 from Luminance, and 9 from the RGB. Taken with the TEC140, and the new small pixel camera Atik 460 with the Sony chip.

I think the 1m and small pixels has done a super job pulling Resolution out of the system. The core has lots of detail, and was able to take some sharpening.

The outer tidal loops were boosted with some Multiscale processing in PI as I felt it was a little dim as per initial stretches.

This is a tricky image to balance, and I hope it looks reasonably natural.

Thanks Tom.

5939cf5d4e692_M63LRGBAstro6web.thumb.jpg.5a16af97cf1f2bfe798b0e65b473dc3c.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, alan4908 said:

A very impressive image Tom and excellent processing.  Amazing detail, what's the plate scale of this imaging set up ?

Alan

Thanks everyone for the comments. The biggest problem is trying to pull out the loops, then balance the huge dynamic range  

Alan this is 0.9 pixel scale with the Tec140 and Atik 460 Sony chip. M63 is not the biggest galaxy so I think we could go for a few more of these deep galaxies next season. 

Tom. 

Nice. I still want to do another long run in luminane to get those outer loops nailed. We had 9 hours but in 15 minute subs. I aim to shoot a good set of 30 minute L subs to see how that compares. After that, more colour to boost the core colour intensity. It's a fascinating target and, as Tom says, there will be plenty more for this image scale.

Olly

PS The capture was on our second Mesu which ran like a Swiss watch. Also I'm on holiday and using my laptop which I doubt is doing justice to Tom's outer loops.

By all means get more data. Or will that be next season now?  

Would

10 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Nice. I still want to do another long run in luminane to get those outer loops nailed. We had 9 hours but in 15 minute subs. I aim to shoot a good set of 30 minute L subs to see how that compares. After that, more colour to boost the core colour intensity. It's a fascinating target and, as Tom says, there will be plenty more for this image scale.

Olly

PS The capture was on our second Mesu which ran like a Swiss watch.

it possible to get the Jet from M87? 

Just now, Tom OD said:

By all means get more data. Or will that be next season now?  

Would

it possible to get the Jet from M87? 

It depends on what the next guests would like to do. If they fancy developing this image we could do it. It will be well placed for a while to come.

I've read that the M87 jets are not too difficult but I've never seen them in any Markarian data I've shot. Good project for next spring.

Olly

Smaller pixels obviously works!  Looks like an image from a much larger aperture. Do you think that is about the limit for that scope--or would the ATIK 490 work as well (3.69um pixels).  Trying to set up the TOA 130 in similar fashion--but teh choices are just too many.

Rodd

8 hours ago, Rodd said:

Smaller pixels obviously works!  Looks like an image from a much larger aperture. Do you think that is about the limit for that scope--or would the ATIK 490 work as well (3.69um pixels).  Trying to set up the TOA 130 in similar fashion--but teh choices are just too many.

Rodd

Hi Rodd

its still an experiment I think. Olly is best placed to answer this, as he has also done some 2m plus imaging with a different camera. 

Well deprh would be a factor too I would think. Longer deep exposure might really blow out bright stars. 

Tom. 

On 13/06/2017 at 14:29, Rodd said:

Rodd

17 hours ago, Tom OD said:

Hi Rodd

its still an experiment I think. Olly is best placed to answer this, as he has also done some 2m plus imaging with a different camera. 

Well deprh would be a factor too I would think. Longer deep exposure might really blow out bright stars. 

Tom. 

I did wonder about going the whole hog on resolution and trying the Atik 490. In the end I went for the 460 because I felt that 0.89"PP seemed like a good idea. We used to image here at 0.66"PP in a 14 inch and I always suspected overkill, though the results were good. I've processed some 490 data and felt that maybe star colour was a bit thin, presumablmy due to well depth. Indeed I think it's a bit thin with the 460 as well. Tom's done a good job on the colour here but for the amount of data I shot I was disappointed.

Olly

32 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I did wonder about going the whole hog on resolution and trying the Atik 490. In the end I went for the 460 because I felt that 0.89"PP seemed like a good idea. We used to image here at 0.66"PP in a 14 inch and I always suspected overkill, though the results were good. I've processed some 490 data and felt that maybe star colour was a bit thin, presumablmy due to well depth. Indeed I think it's a bit thin with the 460 as well. Tom's done a good job on the colour here but for the amount of data I shot I was disappointed.

Olly

Thanks Olly--good to know.  I find star color "thin" in general--even at larger pixel scales.  It is probably my lack of processing skills, though now that you mention it--maybe it is full well depth to some degree as well, for the dimmer stars are typically nicely colored and the brighter ones white with colored fringes.  The pixels in the cores are probably over exposed--and that is with the STT-8300 (5.4um pixels) with a 25,000 full well capacity.  I did not realize the importance of the FWC until now.  Let me guess, small pixel sensors with a high FWC are about as rare as big sensors with small pixels.

Rodd

9 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Thanks Olly--good to know.  I find star color "thin" in general--even at larger pixel scales.  It is probably my lack of processing skills, though now that you mention it--maybe it is full well depth to some degree as well, for the dimmer stars are typically nicely colored and the brighter ones white with colored fringes.  The pixels in the cores are probably over exposed--and that is with the STT-8300 (5.4um pixels) with a 25,000 full well capacity.  I did not realize the importance of the FWC until now.  Let me guess, small pixel sensors with a high FWC are about as rare as big sensors with small pixels.

Rodd

People often say they like Tom's and my star colour from our Atik 11000s. Personally I think this is down the well depth of the big 9 micron pixels but I can't claim to be certain. At some point we'll try shooting colour at 1.8"PP with the big camearas and luminance in the 460.

Olly

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

People often say they like Tom's and my star colour from our Atik 11000s. Personally I think this is down the well depth of the big 9 micron pixels but I can't claim to be certain. At some point we'll try shooting colour at 1.8"PP with the big camearas and luminance in the 460.

Olly

Is it impossible to have a small pixel with a high FWC?  Is that relationship governed by an inflexible physical law?

Rodd 

Archived