Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light-TOA 130 NFB (finally)

Rodd

While I wait for my deep sky camera to come back from repairs (a long and brutally twisted story), I finally got a clear night (first in over 2 months) to set up my new TOA-130NFB.  This shot was taken with a 2.5x powermate and a Skyris 274c.  Seeing was average.  Not bad for a 5" scope.  I usually use my C11Edge for the Moon and planets, but I could not resist seeing what the little big boy could do.  I switched to a Skyris 236c, which has 2.8um pixels but the Moon was behind the trees at that point--I did get a glimpse though and the image scale was amazing--much bigger (pixels on Skyris 274c are 4.4um).  Maybe next time.  processed in Registax and Pixinsight.

Rodd

Moon-2.thumb.jpg.fd359083744738f8f5641ab1cca64e81.jpg

Here's a couple more from last night.  Computer was acting up (been a long time since I used the planet cams and things were not working at there best.  These images are stacks of 500 frames out of 1500--I prefer getting 5-6,000, but the transfer rate was hindered by something and there were hesitations. I am still pleased though.  Hadley Rill is visible, as is part of the rill in Vallis Alpis

Moon-4b.thumb.jpg.08c5bd69e9e1253160d994ea06cd044d.jpg

Moon-3.thumb.jpg.8cc9e029a73c6c673c58921311014386.jpg

2 hours ago, Astro Imp said:

Nice work Rodd, I really like the image of the Alpine Valley.

Thanks Allan--I was able to capture the other end of the Apennine Mountains the next night using a smaller pixel camera--the Skyris 236c (2.8um pixels).  just to show how pixel size makes a difference.  I wish I had imaged the same area--but I was not thinking!  Here is the image.

Moon-6-process-pi-MD.thumb.jpg.37c290517c1925a7ec3c472c55a255f4.jpg

Don't know if anyone noticed, but the first imager has a slightly blue cast.  that's because I just realized the histogram was not balanced.  I usually do not look at the histogram in lunar work--but I should.  here is the corrected image.  The difference is subtle--but the details are clearer in my opinion.

59382b235bdf3_Blend2awithlightreg.thumb.jpg.b80a84326f3f246d379ca7736fddb723.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ive owned a couple FS78s, and a couple FS 102s and had an EM10 around Y2k. Still have never have had a chance to see a larger one. I miss those thangs so much, been out of the hobby for a while and just jumped back into halpha solar. Your pics are super smooth and sharp! I had no interest in getting back into night time stuff but the more I see stuff like this it brings back memories and its hard to not want to own one of those again. I always loved that smell when you first took that lens cap off.  Anyways.. Great pics!!!

4 minutes ago, Tony G said:

Ive owned a couple FS78s, and a couple FS 102s and had an EM10 around Y2k. Still have never have had a chance to see a larger one. I miss those thangs so much, been out of the hobby for a while and just jumped back into halpha solar. Your pics are super smooth and sharp! I had no interest in getting back into night time stuff but the more I see stuff like this it brings back memories and its hard to not want to own one of those again. I always loved that smell when you first took that lens cap off.  Anyways.. Great pics!!!

Thanks Tony--Solar is awesome as well--I have always wanted a 100mm double stack.  To do solar right though is very expensive.  I think a full aperture Ha etalon for my 130mm scope would be 4-5K!  

Rodd

5 minutes ago, Tony G said:

Oh man it would be so awesome if you did put h alpha on that thing someday! Maybe a daystar? I have a sweet little setup that wasnt too costly. 

windowscope.jpg

P6417.jpg

64173x.jpg

Wow!-Greta shots-I did not know such close in images were possible with small scopes.  I guess even a 6omm double stack would be good--or a quark, as you suggest.  Someday!

Rodd

Mines a single stack pressure tunned lunt 60 with b600. With the ZWO its an awesome live view. Pretty much what you see above only wavy with seeing. Check out the solar imaging section. Its amazing what the lunt 50 will do, and I believe Ive seen even smaller do excellent full disk. I use prime focus for full disk and the two images above were with a celestron 3x barlow. I think a double stack would be worth it only if you do visual, as the detail is hard to see. But the cam pulls it out! Live! You lose proms with double stack also. Someday! Thats me with the Tak I hope. Enjoy it!

Archived