Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Zeta herculis - clear split

GavStar

After Stu introduced me to Zeta Herculis at our recent club night, I've been reading the various discussions on SGL about this tough double. Due to the secondary star being on the first diffraction ring of the primary star, it's tough to separate it from the diffraction ring.

It seems that very high magnification is needed so tonight I used my 2x powermate with my 4mm delite to give 410x. I've never used this sort of magnification before but my 130mm frac took it comfortably in its stride. Seeing was ok. And hey presto, I saw a clear round object bulging out of the diffraction ring! I've got it - very pleasing...

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Well done Gavin, it remains one that I've not seen properly. Perhaps bring the AP to the next meet and put me out of my misery!! ;) 

Yes I'll bring a different scope to the next meeting and we can crank up that magnification!

• 2 weeks later...

Belated congratulations Gavin :icon_biggrin:

Once you have "done" this one and know what to look for it becomes possible in smaller apertures as well. I've had clear splits last night and tonight with my Tak 100 DL at 300x :icon_biggrin:

Archived