Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tak impresses on dsos

The Tak FC-100DC impressed on Friday night - I was staying with my elderly mother who lives in the Cotswolds. Seeing for Jupiter was pretty good, Great Red Spot was clear with Delite 7mm at 105x and 150x with Nagler 5mm, though that was about its limit. Couldn't quite see the Cassini division in Saturn's rings as the great planet hung in the murk above Oxford, though unsurprisingly this was my mother's favourite object of the night. Enjoyed some very nice views of M3, M5 and M9 - particularly M3, using Leica ASPH zoom to dial in the most pleasing magnification. But the highlight (s) of the evening for me were M81/82 - the previous time I had observed this pair was in dark Spanish skies with an Equinox 80ED. Was impressed how much brighter and more defined they were on Friday with the Tak despite lighter skies. Ring nebula was nice and clear, and finished off with M56 and M53 before packing up, well pleased. 

25 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

Very nice! Two weeks ago I saw the two galaxies myself through my newly acquired skywatcher 10" dob. What a sight with the 82 degree 24mm and 14mm!! 

Sounds wonderful - one day I hope to be able to experience big dob views of galaxies under dark skies

I've found that good quality refractors do slighty better on DSO's than you might think, for the aperture. Their contrast seems to help on many DSO targets.

That said, the views of M81 and M82 (especially the latter) on a dark night through my 12" dob with something like the 13mm or 8mm Ethos are in a different league :icon_biggrin:

4 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Great report Mark! Ever thought about writing an observing book? :icon_biggrin:

Mike

Thanks Mike - and no! I spend my working hours writing and am far too lazy to do it at any other time - apart from the odd paragraph or two for SGL

4 hours ago, John said:

I've found that good quality refractors do slighty better on DSO's than you might think, for the aperture. Their contrast seems to help on many DSO targets.

That said, the views of M81 and M82 (especially the latter) on a dark night through my 12" dob with something like the 13mm or 8mm Ethos are in a different league :icon_biggrin:

I can only imagine John.

Next maternal visit I will probably take my C8 and go a little deeper - though clear nights with good seeing don't come around too often - Friday was a rare treat...,

1 minute ago, Highburymark said:

Next maternal visit I will probably take my C8 and go a little deeper - though clear nights with good seeing don't come around too often - Friday was a rare treat...,

Tak side by side with a C8 makes a great combination. Amazingly portable too still.

6 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

I haven't tried it under dark skies yet. I live in a red/orange area. My grandma and grandpa lives in a city where the milky way is visible on good nights, so excited to go there.

A city where the Milky Way is visible? It sounds like a magic city, like Camelot or El Dorado. Might see if my mother's up for moving house ?

5 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

A city where the Milky Way is visible? It sounds like a magic city, like Camelot or El Dorado. Might see if my mother's up for moving house ?

It's rare to find cities like this nowadays.

A fine report, but I must admit I am more than a little biased :smile:.

It's great to hear you were sharing the views with your mum.  I did this from an early age when I was at home, and it continued until my mum was in her 90s whenever  the opportunity arose.  Very fond memories. 

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

A fine report, but I must admit I am more than a little biased :smile:.

It's great to hear you were sharing the views with your mum.  I did this from an early age when I was at home, and it continued until my mum was in her 90s whenever  the opportunity arose.  Very fond memories. 

Thanks Paul. Nice thing was that she normally goes to bed at 10pm, but we were both still going strong at 1.30am. 

Great you have such fond memories of stargazing with your mum. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 21:34, Highburymark said:

Thanks Paul. Nice thing was that she normally goes to bed at 10pm, but we were both still going strong at 1.30am. 

Great you have such fond memories of stargazing with your mum. 

Thank you.  I think your mum and mine were cast from the same mould :smile:.

Archived