SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Full disc (Ha) 25th May 2017

Rob63

First time I have attempted a full Ha disc mosaic, it took about 24 panes to do it with the ASI174 (leaving lots of room for overlap).

Joins are not perfect by any means but overall, I'm pretty happy with it. May have to look into a 2" focal reducer as that was a lot of work!

Hardware used - Skywatcher ED80 DS-Pro, Baader UV/IR cut filter, Quark chromo, ASI174MM, Rowan tilt adapter.

Software - Firecapture, AS!2, imppg, Photoshop CC.

592868e5195e1_SolarDisc(Ha)25-05-2017.thumb.jpg.202920bdee4e6d04e93204088df63428.jpg

False colour

592869cb85a98_SolarDisc(Ha)-falsecolour-25-05-2017.thumb.jpg.41c2c9971f492a0e96a596ab8e668dd5.jpg

57 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Well done Rob, is that a first for getting enough Sun in Scotland to capture a mosaic :grin:

Dave

You're not wrong Dave, sunshine two days in a row ! That's probably our summer over now. 

Very nice disk, with excellent detail. Have you tried going the AutoStitch way? I am far too lazy to mosaic things manually, and too cheap to get Photoshop, so I just plonk my data into AutoStitch, sit back, and relax. Worth a try if the joins bother you (I had a hard time finding them).

11 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Very nice disk, with excellent detail. Have you tried going the AutoStitch way? I am far too lazy to mosaic things manually, and too cheap to get Photoshop, so I just plonk my data into AutoStitch, sit back, and relax. Worth a try if the joins bother you (I had a hard time finding them).

Thanks Michael, Your guide has been a great help with my Ha processing but I must have forgotten about autostitch.

I have just given a Autostitch64 a go and it worked 100% first time! My only negative is that it could only output a .jpeg but I am guessing that its 99% output setting is uncompressed?

I've tried Microsoft ICE and photoshops photomerge but neither managed more than about 2/3 and required manual labour to complete.

Rob

6 minutes ago, Rob63 said:

Thanks Michael, Your guide has been a great help with my Ha processing but I must have forgotten about autostitch.

I have just given a Autostitch64 a go and it worked 100% first time! My only negative is that it could only output a .jpeg but I am guessing that its 99% output setting is uncompressed?

I've tried Microsoft ICE and photoshops photomerge but neither managed more than about 2/3 and required manual labour to complete.

Rob

The big drawback of AutoStitch is that it only outputs (slightly compressed) JPEG. This is one reason I always sharpen in ImPPG before stitching. Doing it afterwards enhances JPEG artefacts. I also found that sharpening before stitching works better in lunar mosaics when using MS-ICE.

Archived