NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How early can you pick Jupiter up?

Stu

Just been practising for said club night on Thursday. Picked up Jupiter quite late at around 9.30 but some really nice views. I counted 3 barges on the NEB all in a line on the edge.

After reading the great posts earlier about the Veil observing im going to give it a go when it gets a bit darker. Stu, the towel is ready...?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, John said:

It's shining up there again now. Must have been a rogue chunk of cloud.

Looks like my current clear patch won't last though, judging by the aerial photo and assuming that the white stuff over Cornwall, Devon and Wales is moving eastwards.

Looks like it's going south east on the satellite images.

Dave

There's a curious thing 2 very bright lights that appeared to be travelling in tandem a few arc minutes apart below and left of Jupiter about 2 thirds the distance to Spica they gradually faded from sight together.

About 10.45 anyone looking at Jupiter couldn't miss them.

Definitely not aircraft, will look on Stellarium to see if any satellites are shown.

Dave

Iridium 43 looks about right but no sign of a twin, found it Iridium 82, not quite where Stellarium shows them, only caught my eye because they were travelling in tandem, shame they could have been navigation lights on a giant triangular spacecraft, though it's always puzzled me why UFOs need navigation lights :grin:

I got Jup at around 20:50 here this evening. The views just now are simply stunning with the 12" dob :shocked:

GRS is really strongly coloured - a real "blood orange" tint :smiley:

Archived