Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help moving from Visual to Imaging

Hello All,

I've finally decided to commit going down the rabbit hole that is imaging (DSO) and would appreciate some clarification.

Current Kit.

CGEM DX : ES 127ED CF : SKY Q Wifi Link : Starsense Auto align : IR Modified 450D : iPad Sky Safari.

I've avoided Imaging as I'm time bound and am averse to having to set up a laptop and all that entails. I've been looking at stand alone auto guiders, but i think i've convinced myself that they will still be a compromise compared to a laptop and finder scope/QHY5L-II Mono/PHD.

So Questions....

1/ As i said, i'm time bound (hence using the SSA) If i do imaging, will an auto guider setup with laptop simplify the Polar alignment process? i.e. Polar align using the guide cam and a laptop using something like sharp cap?

2/ Again, if i have an auto guider and Polar Align with it and then use PHD for guiding, does the SSA become redundant?(Can i sell it to fund Guiding bits?)

3/ As i already have the SSA, does it make more sense to use this and use it for alignment and then have the guiding cam/PHD take over?

If i have to rehash or repurpose my kit, happy to do that, but i'd like to do the basics just the once if possible. Laptop/PC to control things will be a different post.

Thanks for help all.

Polar alignment with an auto guider and sharpcap take about 30 seconds to get a very close alignment. You can then plate solve to your target, I haven't found any need for any auto align so I would personally get rid of it

Never even heard of an SSA before but I guess it does the same as plate solving.  I don't see why it can't be used to find the target if that is what you are used to, but plate solving will do the job probably just as well enabling you to sell it to raise more funds.

Carole 

18 hours ago, carastro said:

Never even heard of an SSA before but I guess it does the same as plate solving.  I don't see why it can't be used to find the target if that is what you are used to, but plate solving will do the job probably just as well enabling you to sell it to raise more funds.

Carole 

Sorry SSA Celestron StarSense Autoalign.

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/accessories/navigation/starsense-autoalign

I tend to think of it as slipping into a vortex, and it is a slippery slope indeed. :grin:

Your bag of kit sounds very, very good. And your transition should be relatively painless.

I would advise you don't be too hasty about getting rid of things like the Star Sense Alignment aid just yet. If you are strapped for time, I would lean towards things to speed up the process.

That said, I probably spend ~30 minutes start to imaging with my equipment. My mount basically lives outside under cover. So I carry my telescope out, mount it to the Vixen saddle, connect up, and run my alignment. Then focus on the last alignment Star, and let PHD2 set itself up.

If I'm going to a different quadrant, I will restart PHD2 there. That way it is fresh in the star field I intend to be imaging in.

I knew starting out I wanted to image Nebulae, and go deep space. So my kit was toward that end. If I put my DSLR in place of my deep space camera, I get fairly widefield images. Nice, but not what I wanted for me. My deep space camera needed a focal reducer to keep me from going mad trying to target my intended objects. So that gives me 3 options for imaging.

Get what you need in the way of a T-mount connector for you current camera, and jump into the hole.

It's a bit like Alice in Wonderland down here.  :hello:

Archived