are some astronomers immune to aperture fever?

Ags

Generally, a quality bigger scope will show a bigger image which allows more detail to be viewed....

Hang on a minute! So, why can I see more detail on Jupiter with my little ED120 than a 10" Newtonian???

Must need more than 10", or a better mirror.... ?

Think that I may have just shown that it is impossible (for me) to be happy with only one scope!!!

Paul

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Lockie said:

I can't think of that many reasons, Paul, mainly seeing conditions, space, portability, and setup and cool down time.

or do some of those come under logistics?

Definitely logistics!

2 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Generally, a quality bigger scope will show a bigger image which allows more detail to be viewed....

Hang on a minute! So, why can I see more detail on Jupiter with my little ED120 than a 10" Newtonian???

Must need more than 10", or a better mirror.... ?

Think that I may have just shown that it is impossible (for me) to be happy with only one scope!!!

Paul

Very interesting - perhaps you should start a thread on the merits of a refractor vs a dob... not sure if that has been ever debated?! :D

Smaller and moderate sized aperture, dependant on the target, requires commitment. A good quality dark and transparent location to observe within, patience, complete dark adaption, knowledge of subject, observational skills, trial and error and experience will yield positive outcomes. Large faint emission or reflection nebulae for example respond favourably to low power, large exit pupil, wide / ultra wide field of view, appropriate (if applicable) filter, whilst challenging galaxy groups will clearly benefit from the big guns Dobsonian.     

1 hour ago, Paul73 said:

Either seeing conditions favoring the smaller aperture, or your fast Newt needs it's collimation tweaking.....or both ;) 

Or your 10" has 1/4th wave optics, and your ED120 is 1/8th.

Archived