Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Think ill be ostracised for this but!

simmo39

1 hour ago, carastro said:

I had a QHY8L for a while, and had awful problems with the cable disconnecting, so I got one of those clips they provide and that was very flimsy - i.e not something to take on and off every time, so I kept the cable attached permanently, and had no more problems with cable disconnection.  They may well have changed the design in the later models, so might be worth looking into.  i.e. the Polemaster made by the same company now has an excellent cable connector with two screws either side, like one of those computer connectors. 

Can't say i cared for the software it came with, so I used APT instead. 

Carole 

Hi Carole, thanks for the help. Must admit that for the price the camera seems v good at what it does. The cable connection was the only thing that caused me err on it. If I got one the little cash left over I could get the LP filter and the cable clips. got a few months yet but Im defo going to get one or the other.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didnt want to add to my list but I found this one:

QHY 10

Has anybody got thoughts on this one? The 2 reviews of it i can find say its good but I cant find a lot about it being used in anger.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Its me again! Im so close to purchasing The ASI 071MC, but before I do one or two last questions. Will it work ok with my SW 130 pds and will I have any back focus problems? ( i must be honest here, Im not real sure what back focus is. I just slap on my  DLSR, adjust focus and away i go. ) 

Promise this will be the last questions on this subject till the next one!

I may have missed it, but do you have a coma corrector? If not, you really should get one, even if you only want to do "quick and dirty", in which case you will need to have 55mm between it and the sensor.

Just now, DaveS said:

I may have missed it, but do you have a coma corrector? If not, you really should get one, even if you only want to do "quick and dirty", in which case you will need to have 55mm between it and the sensor.

Hi, yep im using a coma corrector with my DLSR. Hmmm 55mm. will have to look at that but cant see it being much different in distance of my DLSR sensor.

thanks Daves

On 2017-5-3 at 13:21, sloz1664 said:

As you want a cooled OSC camera with a big chip. Why not look at the QHY8L. It's got a large chip, it's 16 bit as opposed to the 12/14 bit cmos sensors and it's on offer for less than £920.

Steve

+1, I love mine! Here's a shot of M42 with just over an hour of integration taken with said camera. A Hutech IDAS D1 was used on this shot. Hope you don't mind me posting the pic :icon_biggrin:

M42-Reprocess.thumb.jpg.c4fc963ec2f30ccdb22e9e54549c6984.jpg

7 hours ago, RichLD said:

+1, I love mine! Here's a shot of M42 with just over an hour of integration taken with said camera. A Hutech IDAS D1 was used on this shot. Hope you don't mind me posting the pic :icon_biggrin:

Hi Rich. I had looked at the QHY 8L and 10, both as you say are on offer but have read bad things about the cable/plugs and how they are put together. Your image proves that the 8L can do the job. Have you had any problems with it?

1 hour ago, simmo39 said:

Hi Rich. I had looked at the QHY 8L and 10, both as you say are on offer but have read bad things about the cable/plugs and how they are put together. Your image proves that the 8L can do the job. Have you had any problems with it?

Hi there

Mine has been fine with regard to performance (IQ, temperature control and connectivity) - I tend to use velcro straps to double back the cables and secure them on the body of the camera. Construction and form factor is good.

I always leave the dessicant tube connected but I also do that with my QHY9 as a safeguard against moisture.

I have had to open the camera up to clean the sensor once - the foam that surrounds it can shed very small particles but it's no biggie.

For the money I think it's brilliant. Mind you, I've just bought a QHY163m and think it's awesome! I bet the 163c is a cracking camera ?

HTH

Rich

Well to add closure to this thread I have finally pressed the buy button! and like any good UK election the winner wasnt who you or I thought it was going to be. I have for better or worse bought a .................QHY 10.........  The reason? well one thing was price and the other, the spec seems to my poor understanding good. The proof will be in the using. At least I have got a bit of time to learn my way round it till the dark skys return.  Thanks to everyone who gave there advise and honest i didnt ignore it all. Roll on first light!

• 4 weeks later...

I hope I'm not too terribly necro posting here...

I have an Orion G3, which is a One Shot Color camera. I'm finally beginning to get along with it much of the time. I would not recommend it though.

What I think I will be doing in the future (if I ever get there) is I'd like to get a Mono and filter wheel. Only for the control it can offer. Reds are red, Greens are green (And not double), and blues would be blue. And my HA would be HA. Novel idea.

I'd be amiss if to not point out that one very attractive thing about the OSC versions is you are getting a camera, and also a full set of filters you never have to fiddle with. Kind of adds to the bargain.

Something else to consider is you will have both, mono and color available to chose between. I wish I did.

The reason I would not recommend a G3 is my first one didn't work out of the box. My second one (warranty replacement) 1/2 of the sensor was dead. And my 3rd one (2nd warranty replacement), which I currently use, just stinks. Far too many hot pixels in it.

So if you do get a OSC camera, do some VERY critical viewing of the results, and look very carefully for hot or dead pixels. So as to not be stuck with a pig-in-a-poke like I am....

1.jpg.ea174f4ef2f5e0f99e5ba2ad88c21479.jpg My G3 typical Dark file.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2017 at 18:00, simmo39 said:

Well to add closure to this thread I have finally pressed the buy button! and like any good UK election the winner wasnt who you or I thought it was going to be. I have for better or worse bought a .................QHY 10.........  The reason? well one thing was price and the other, the spec seems to my poor understanding good. The proof will be in the using. At least I have got a bit of time to learn my way round it till the dark skys return.  Thanks to everyone who gave there advise and honest i didnt ignore it all. Roll on first light!

Hi, do you happen to know how many hot pixels you have on the chip?

Archived